1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lidstrom to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mjslovin91, May 30, 2012.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Missed the playoffs as a rookie in 1973-74, but was there for the next 14 years until he retired.

Ray Bourque made the playoffs in each of his first 17 seasons, and in 21 of his 22 seasons.

Chris Chelios holds the record with 24 playoff runs in 26 seasons. If he hadn't tried the last brief comeback with Atlanta, it'd be 24/25.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The only other one that can seriously be in the conversation after Bourque and Pronger is Coffey with 1,532 points in 1,409 games. as a defenceman. Also had three Norris Trophies.

I'd like to see a guy like Weber have the kind of longevity as Lidstrom to see what he can do with it.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Also not bad for a third round pick.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Didn't know that stuff, thanks. But since I didn't quote the post I was replying to, you had no way to know I was suggesting names for the "best since Orr" group.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Respect: #5 was an animal with a killer slap shot in NHL93 for the Sega Genesis.

We had to institute a rule that you could NOT play with the Red Wings in dorm competition because he, Yzerman and Federov were the best players

Changing the rules of Sega league play at a Big Ten school in fall 1992 is the hallmark of respect.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Funny no one has mentioned Doug Harvey.

Seven Norris Trophies, Six Stanley Cups

Redefined the role of the defenseman prior to Bobby Orr.

Along with Ted Lindsay, was responsible for creating the first player's union.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

1. Orr - Anyone who doesn't have Orr in this position is fooling themselves. The only possible argument against him is that his career was cut short, but even in that short career he was by far the most successful and influential player at the position, ever. Period. "That was a long time ago" does not apply. We aren't talking about a guy who was just barely the best... we're talking about a guy who was lapping the field.

2-3. Harvey and Bourque - Personally I have Bourque #2 and Harvey #3, but the other order is perfectly justifiable and, I think, more common. Harvey is widely considered the greatest pre-Orr defenseman, which means he beat out 80+ years of competition for that title. Almost anything that can be said about Lidstrom can also be said equally about Harvey. Bourque had easily the greatest longetivity among defensemen, combined with perhaps the highest non-Orr prime from 1987-1994 and an incredibly high peak at the turn of the decade. Other than pure trophy-counting, there's not a strong enough argument for Lidstrom to enter this tier.

4. Lidstrom - I think we all know his credentials at this point. He has put some space between himself and the guys who come after -- Potvin, Kelly, Robinson -- largely on account of his post-lockout resurgence.

WILD CARD. Shore - People who take the time to look into Shore's career will understand why he is still ranked this highly after 80 years. It's not just nostalgia. He was legitimately dominant, at a level exceeded only by Orr, and during a time when contrary to popular belief the NHL was in fact very competitive. Shore was easily the best offensive and arguably the best defensive defenseman in the world, for a sustained period of time, and the cornerstone of one of the greatest defenses in history. He was massive in the playoffs. He was nearly as influential as Orr, redefining our concept of what a defenseman could accomplish. And for god's sake, he won four Hart trophies.

Depending on how you feel about Shore, Lidstrom goes in at either #4 or #5. It's unlikely that he moves any higher.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Great player, great guy.

Never complained, though he had many reasons to. No contract bickering.

Low maintenance, high performance. Holland, Nill and Co. will miss him as much as his on-ice teammates will.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A little surprised. Thought he would give it one more year. But there are few players in any sport I respect more.

10. maberger

maberger Member

i'd vote robinson before bourque

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

A pro's pro highly respected by fans around the league. As has been previously stated, a down-to-earch true great who carried himself with class.

Truly wish him all the best.

All-time list? Orr's a no brainer. I would tend to go with Bourque No. 2, but really have no problem with any order of ranking among him, Harvey and Lidstrom.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Great analysis, Gehrig. It's like an ESPN breakout box, with the benefit of not having waste time with a detour to the Mothership.

Draft saved Draft deleted