1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lidstrom to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mjslovin91, May 30, 2012.

1. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

This is certainly deserving of its own thread. Rumors are being substantiated in Detroit that Nick Lidstrom's storied NHL career will come to an end with a press conference in the morning. I'm young, but Lidstrom's the best defenseman I've gotten to see play and, without question, one of the best of all time.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Seven Norris trophies, four Cups, a Conn Smythe and, oh yeah, the gold medal-winning goal for the Swedes in '06. Yeah, that's a decent career.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

A No. 5 banner is definitely headed to the crowded rafters at the Joe, likely during next season's home opener.

I really thought he had a couple more years left in him. But, he's walking (or skating) away with his health and before his skills eroded.

Truly one of the all-time great Red Wings, and that's saying something (the 1970s excluded). An amazing player and an even better person. He represented the team and the city with class.

4. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

He made the playoffs every single season he played in the NHL. Very curious how many guys can say that, especially ones with his longevity.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

first European-born captain of a Stanley Cup champion.

One of two Detroit athletes calling it quits this week. Magglio Ordonez will retire in a special ceremony at the CoPa on Sunday.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

But did they play 20 years?

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Lidstrom then Borque as the best since Orr?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, but close enough to be in the discussion. 17 for Pippen, 16 for Horry.

Edit to say Pippen is not in the discussion; the Bulls missed the playoffs his final season.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Denis Potvin?

And he never gets this kind of mention because he's so hated and because he's never been on a powerhouse team, but I put Pronger up there too. Chris, not Sean.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree with you on both of them.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Can't even enjoy relief on this as a Preds fan, because the Ryan Suter Sweepstakes just got even more expensive.

12. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

Detroit media seems pretty confident he'll land there. Nobody could replace Lidstrom, but Wings fans would welcome Suter with open arms.

Draft saved Draft deleted