1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lids (as the kids call them)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Feb 26, 2013.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I became a hat freak when I started middle school and I'd rather have a team's logo on a hat rather than a shirt, jacket or jersey, any day.
    I think it started when the Rockies and Marlins joined the bigs and me and my friend went to the department store my mom works at and I bought the Rockies (black with purple "CR" lined in silver) and he bought the Marlins (white with fish stuck in a aqua F with silver lining).
    Since then, I built up my hat collection to well over 100, not including some that I had to chuck because they got just gross.

I try to stay away from the popular ones (no Yankees, Raiders, Cowboys, etc.) and I don't wear teams I hate (Packers, Duke, UNC, most of the NHL's Western Conference). I actually try to find odd hats over just normal team logos and some I like are not even sports related.

A few of my favorites are:
    - a Mexican baseball team "Los Lobos"
    - Duff Beer (yeah, from the Simpsons)
    - Washington Bullets with the late 80s logo
    - an alternate 49ers logo from the 50s
    - a Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources patch ironed on to felt-lined hat
    - Wigan Athletic (English Premier soccer team)

I know some people collect shoes, so I can't say anything about weird habits...but my wife is mad we still have to haul 3 plastic containers filled to the "brim" whenever we move! LOL
  2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I thought you meant a lid (ounce) of marijuana (as the kids called it when I was a kid).

I don't wear hats.
  3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is one of my favorite posts ever.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not even a jaunty newsboy cap in the winter?
  5. Inky_Wretch

I've gone all-in on Flex Fit caps. If it's got an adjustable strap in the back or is fitted to a specific size, I don't want it.

The only non-Flex I wear now is a Kavu strap cap, which is my "I'm going to get really nasty building this deck/mowing the yard/going camping" cap.
  6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ridgeway would look smashing in this cap.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I can't stand caps with snapbacks -- which are becoming popular again, or were at one point -- or fitted caps like the big leaguers wear. The only caps I'll wear are those kinds.
  9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can't wear the flex-fit hat. The one-size-fits-all cap doesn't fit my 7 3/4 noggin.

I mostly wear a throwback lower-case "a" Angels cap. I think I have every variation of Angels cap except for the dreadful Disney era wings and the "CA" version. I've also collected caps from now-defunct F1 teams.

And on the topic, there is nothing dumber-looking that one of the flat-brimmed fitted caps, Lord, do I hate that look.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Hmm, I wear that size and the L/XL Flexs fit me just fine ... after wearing them a few times.

I switched to them because I never could find fitted hats big enough for my Sputnik-sized heed.
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. The Flex-fit hats squeeze my melon and give me a headache.
  12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Flex-Fit seems to be my rout lately...I'm not a fan of the strap that is made of the hat material is threaded through a clasp. Yuck. I have a few and I stray away from those.
    Snap-backs were my staple in the 90s and I still have a lot. I was a forward thinker and knew I would outgrow some of my fitted hats (I gave a few fitted 7 1/4 to my cousin when I got too big for them, and my mom got mad since she was the one that spent most of the money on those hats as presents).

Agree on the flat brims. Yuck. Then again, a super deep curve isn't that great looking either. And don't GET me started on the CC Sabathia look!
Draft saved Draft deleted