1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Library cards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, May 14, 2008.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Great topic.

As funny as it sounds, I live about 10 minutes away from a nice library and it's never even dawned on me to check it out in the 17 or so months I've lived here.

I may head over there tomorrow.

Thanks for finally contributing something useful, Duckbub :D

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Really?

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Really.

I've been too busy getting tatts.

Maybe I can find a book there with some new designs or something :D

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Not to threadjack, but this seems like a legit story. How hard have video stores been hit in the last few years. I don't even have Netflix, but just with OnDemand I probably haven't been to a video store in three years or so.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Funny you mention that. Finding the video store cards came a day after I drove by the Hollywood Video in town ... and saw that it was gone, the building up for rent.

The library is highly underrated, btw. When I realized how ridiculous it was for me to pay full price for a book, the library (and amazon.com's book re-sale) became much more fiscally logical.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Used to buy books until my wife emphasized the library and the need to remove clutter from the apt.

I love the library; one of the best common areas in society.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Stratford in England? That's one of my favorite towns, the market there on weekends has amazing food.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What's a guy gotta do to get a library card?

I've only had library cards to my junior high and high school libraries. And I don't have either card anymore. As soon as I left the schools, I tossed them.

And Reading Rainbow rules. I used to watch it during lunch in high school.

9. rascalface

rascalface Member

I purged my library cards a few years ago. At my last stop, they had a great music selection and a wonderful Web site. I'd just punch in what I wanted and have them deliver it to the branch up the street the next day.

And I agree with buying used books on amazon, especially if they happen to be used for a college course somewhere. You can load up on history books that some college kid is selling for pennies on the dollar.

I've found all kinds of great stuff for under $5. I think I bought the Mike Royko and Jim Murray collections (One More Time and Last of the Best) for $5 total (before shipping). Granted, the Royko book had a coffee stain on it, but I imagine many of his personal collection also suffered the same fate.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I just got a library card for my small town....It ain't all that its cracked up to be. I went in there a few weeks ago for the first time since college. Maybe the big town libraries are better.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

How's the coffee at pubic libraries? And do they have a lot of comfortable furniture?

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Buckdub, you're such a nerd! :D

I've got last city I lived, last county I lived, county before that, city where my parents live and I'm about to get the city where I currently live. That's only five.

My biggest aversion to purchasing books, aside from cost, is moving those damn things. Books are heavy. I move often.

Draft saved Draft deleted