1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal bias exposed and admonished in newsrooms - progress is made!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Aug 16, 2007.

?

Who was right about this bias dispute?

1. ST Editor & Joe Scarborough - bias has no place in news reporting

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Newsroom staff - what's wrong with having an opinion even if you work in news?

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

To me, it seems Yawn and others who so often decry "liberals" are themselves liberals for being so free to share their opinion, whether right, wrong or justified.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

So, what you're saying is that the media treatment of Gingrich and Pelosi -- and the media was much, much less hostile to Gingrich than many care to remember, but for your argument, I can stipulate -- just because they've held the same job? That's it? When Pelosi is selected Time's person of the year, then I guess we can have a discussion about how she's perceived in the media as compared to Gingrich.

And as far as your Iraq patriotism/judgment claim -- please, please stick to questioning my patriotism. If the last seven years have taught us anything, it's that the American right questioning anyone else's foreign-policy judgment is even more offensive than questioning someone else's patriotism.

3. Oh, good God.

The Kings of Rationalization strike again.

4. Time's Person of the Year doesn't exactly mean anything favorable. Hitler won that honor once, too.

Gee, you must have been asleep when Gingrich was the poster boy for the "temper-tantrum-throwing" public that voted in the GOP in 1994. Angry white men, and all that.

Selective retention is a wonderful thing for simpletons, evidently.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Selective retention is a tool used by both sides of most arguments.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hitler was an archconservative.

7. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

The wrong "L" word is used all the time. I hate hearing repeated use of "liberal" when it should be "left wing" to fit what those using it actually mean.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's no left wing left. :)

There's the centre and everything else to the far edges of the loony right.

9. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Errr, I think PETA might disagree... haha!

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

PETA is a terrorist organization.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I e-mailed the columnist and told her it was people like herself that kept alive the belief that all of journalism leans left. Coming from the right, I said it's disappointing being adrift on an island.

BUT... I told her it took guts to admit she was wrong in public, and I admire her spirit for that. I still back Bush and the GOP and am proud to say it, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Rove did some serious damage to the party.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I think we are all missing a huge point.
    The Seattle newsroom had no right to boo, the speech started at 6PM their time, not even close to deadline like those in the East.

Draft saved Draft deleted