1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal bias exposed and admonished in newsrooms - progress is made!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Aug 16, 2007.

?

Who was right about this bias dispute?

1. ST Editor & Joe Scarborough - bias has no place in news reporting

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Newsroom staff - what's wrong with having an opinion even if you work in news?

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thank you. If I cover college football, am I not allowed to have an opinion on NFL players or teams?
    If I cover cops or community news, am I not allowed to have an opinion on the president?
    You don't have to be a liberal to be against Bush any more than you had to be a conservative to be against Clinton.
    JDV, how someone who claims to have an IQ as high as yours can be so damn dumb is beyond me. Yawn, we expect it from.

2. In order to justify this line of thinking, some people are turning into contortionists.

Look, this isn't about having a political opinion. Of course, everybody's free to have one. (By the way, very clever way to obfuscate, like the idiots who scream "How dare you question my patriotism!" regarding Iraq. Nobody's questioning your patriotism, just your judgment.)

It's about keeping that opinion to yourself when it's possible outsiders will perceive a bias. That's all.

Readers, newsroom visitors, et al, expect opinion on the editorial page. They don't want it in what are supposed to be straight stories. Why is that so hard to understand?

And idiots who say things like "cheering for Rove's departure is just being a good American" miss the point, and reach the height of arrogance.

I have absolute confidence the same people defending the Seattle booers today would have a big problem with them if the political persuasions were reversed.

Either way, D or R, lib or con, it isn't right. And it shouldn't happen.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Is anyone making the argument that straight stories were augmented by bias?

I thought this was about a guy that saw a bunch of people clapping. This isn't really about what was in print.

As Joe Scarborough and his thoughts...

So, your first night at a television news station and you are witness to a bunch of people booing the president. Could they be camerapeople? Could they be production assistants? Could they be interns?

Well, I guess we won't ever really know since it is more salacious to just throw out there that people were booing for about an hour straight on. Somebody call the Guinness Book of Records to find out what is the longest someone has booed straight.

I don't disagree with the idea that this is the equivalent of "cheering in the pressbox." I just am not so sure about the actual implications. If coverage isn't actually affected then how would people even know?

4. Well, is coverage affected by cheering in the press box?

Ask yourself how many times you saw in print Jesse Helms described as an "arch-conservative senator" and how many times you saw Ted Kennedy described as an "ultra-liberal senator," despite Helms being just as conservative as Kennedy is liberal.

5. Now, even one of the participants is sorry.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003840463_brodeur17m1.html

6. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Man, Folks are tied of this administration and for RIGHT reasons. Every fuckin day, I login into CNN/Usatoday and see nothing but more KILLINGS in Iraq.

It's got so bad, I'm numb by it, yet sickened by who CREATED it and have cause it to bombard my lifestyle.

Just because YOU are comfortable in twistville, folks around the world is suffering by the hands of THIS administration.

I would respect them more if they didn't CREATE this hell and this shit was just happening.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or they may be kidding or using hyperbole or trying to give you an aneurysm.

Ever try to reach the height of arrogance? That's too steep of a climb for me.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Unprofessional to applaud this in a newsroom.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Here is the difference... the "clapping" didn't occur in the pressbox. The only mention is that "reporters" and "editors" were clapping. Now what were those reporters covering? Were they sports reporters? Were they crime beat reporters? No mention.

Archconservative does not equal ultra-liberal, either.

Interesting. It says:

So, the woman is a columnist not a straight reporter. Does this not change your opinion since you already stated that you expect opinion out of them?

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You'd have to boo in shifts. No way you could boo straight through it.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

What does he ever say in a SOU worth booing anyway? Isn't it usually pretty set up to draw cheers?

12. Archconservative doesn't equate with ultraliberal?

And reporters wonder why they're accused of bias.

Draft saved Draft deleted