1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal bias exposed and admonished in newsrooms - progress is made!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Aug 16, 2007.

?

Who was right about this bias dispute?

1. ST Editor & Joe Scarborough - bias has no place in news reporting

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Newsroom staff - what's wrong with having an opinion even if you work in news?

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Very interesting movements over the last two days first at the Seattle Times now this morning at MSNBC.

I have no problem with any media outlet that wants to take an opinion stance on any side of the spectrum (just label it as such). The issue is when the newsroom gets infected with overt ideology & agenda and then folks pass it off as objective/fair reporting (has this happened in he PED debate??? Hmm...I wonder?)

We all have to be vigilant in or fairness in reporting. That is the only way to deliver the best & most credible product to the audience.

This was great to read/watch (note: watch MSNBC video within):

http://media.newsbusters.org/stories/msnbc-newsroom-booed-bushs-state-union.html?q=blogs/mark-finkelstein/2007/08/16/msnbc-newsroom-booed-bushs-state-union

Sweet!

JDV - media maverick

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

You haven't made your own video about it? :)

3. John D. Villarreal

Bro,

I have NO time today or even this whole week. I am rushing out the door to hit Silicon Valley again for business. I have international clients in town on a big deal.

Vote in the poll above!

Thanks,

John

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Booing W and cheering Rove's departure doesn't make you a liberal. It makes you a thinking American.

Hell, plenty of conservatives feel the same damn way.

5. And this is how liberals excuse their own bad behavior.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Bulgarian mail order bride business is on FIYAH!

7. John D. Villarreal

Ha ha, some have made that point, but that is not the point.

The point is - is taking sides, particularly so overtly, in a professional newsroom appropriate?

Is that what our audience expects or what we expect from our profession? Are we purveyors of the story or participants?

That is the question.

I agree with ST & Joe S.

Nice sig by the way - ha ha. Such a true statement! I have the best lines ;)

Ok, I have to jet. See you all on the flip!

John

8. Is buying 'roids from your contacts in Tijuana considered "international business"? OK. Good luck.

9. I'm sure if it had been reported the Fox newsroom erupted in cheers at a State of the Union speech, the same people excusing the Rove incident would be here, full of fire and brimstone.

Those kind of displays, for either side, should not be tolerated in a newsroom. Period.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't "we" imply that you need to be a reporter for this to apply?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bad behavior to whom? The TV set?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't get it. Did their boos actually make it into print?

Correction: Would anyone have even known they'd booed unless someone else had written about it, outing their own people?

Draft saved Draft deleted