1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LI girls hoops coach dies during game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Feb 28, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Jesus. 38?

Terrible story.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Holy smoke ... that's awful. We had a coach in our area end up in the hospital following a game last weekend.

Thank goodness she's fine.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Several years ago, there was a high school coach in Texas who was killed in a car accident as he was heading home from a pep rally for his team's quarterfinal playoff game the next day. They held the game anyway and on the first play from scrimmage, the coach's team tossed an 82-yard touchdown pass and rolled their heavily favored opponent. I believe they lost in the state finals, but to this day, I still remember sitting in the booth next to the coaches up in the press box, seeing them with a mixture of tears and joy at the end of that game.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I nearly saw a coach die on the court a few years ago. He had a massive heart attack and keeled over, face first, on to the court. Thankfully, the school had a defib on site and it saved his life. That was the scariest thing I have ever seen at an event I covered.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The closest to any kind of scare at a national college game was when Krzyzewski collapsed at a home game. I think it was last season.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Ouch. That sucks.

But I'm always on duty, so ...

As opposed to a gradual collapse?

Maybe if the girls were playing for $250 plus a $50 victory bonus, they would have continued. Fitting that this thread was on top of the arena football death one.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You saw a coach nearly die. If you nearly saw a coach die, that meant you were looking away while he died. I'm a douche.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

When I was in college, I went to an Illinois-Michigan State football game where an official collapsed on the field and died.

Draft saved Draft deleted