1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leyland explodes in on-air tirade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 20, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Why would he be be smiling? The Tigers are 6 and 1/2 games back on May 21. I'm guessing that's not insurmountable.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Anyone else have the feeling someone is going back through all the old threads and re-posting them to see if everyone says the same things over again?

We just had JR saying Canada deserves more NHL franchises, which is an avenue that was pretty well traveled before.

Now this.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or is the first image that pops into one's head about Jim Leyland having sex is him flicking a cigarette on a chick's ass while angrily doing it doggie style?

No? Ooo-K, time for me to go hang myself to bed.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Leyland learned from Whitey Herzog, who learned from Casey Stengel, to get the media on your side and deflect the heat off the bums like Ordonez and Sheffield who really deserve it.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Subtlety apparently escapes you.

To enlighten the discussion, consider this: perhaps we have a couple of subjects with remarkably similar characteristics:

1) A rapturous reputation among much of the media as incomparable geniuses of their respective sports; overall records inconsistent with this reputation.

2) An aptitude to hold on at great lengths about "the fundamentals," and constant reminders that you are teaching your players... here it comes now..."the righh...." .. ahhh... never mind...

3) A tendency to bail for (presumably) greener pastures when things get rough, despite monotonously pounding the mantra of "dedication" and "perserverance" for your players.

4) A repeated tendency to effectively throw the players under the bus, passively-aggressively deadpanning that losing streaks are due to the players not buying into 2), not any mistakes YOU may have made. Of course it couldn't be the coaching, it's those lazy overpaid primadonna players.

There are some other similarities, but those are the biggies.

Ordonez is leading the team in virtually every offensive category.

Sheffield's performance on and off the field speaks for itself, especially his hissy-fit about DHing as opposing to playing the outfield, when it's glaringly obvious he can barely throw the ball 50 feet. They need to write Sheffield his check and send him on his way; it's only money, and Ilitch has plenty.

6. Smasher_Sloan

You hate Leyland.

We knew that.

Subtle? You're as subtle as herpes.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What kind of herpes, though?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Herpes The Right Way," I suppose. ::) ;D ;D

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

"Magua, why do you hate the grayhair?"

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"explodes" "tirade"? That's probably just the way Leyland talks.
    Leyland at the gas station...

"Fill the f**ker up"
    Cash or credit?
    "Motherf**kin' credit"
    Regular?
    "G*damm right regular, I can't afford any sh*t above $4 a gallon. Can you?"
    Nah. Nice rig. What is it? A hybrid Tahoe?
    "Yeah, the wife feels better when we're not f**kin' over the planet. Gotta save the f**kin' whales, you know? That global warming is some real nasty sh*t."
    So where you off to?
    "Gonna visit my f**kin' grandkids and take them to the beach. I love those little f*ckers. They're my f*ckin' reason for living. Hey thanks a f*ckin' lot. Let me know if you need any motherf*ckin' tickets, I'll hook your sh*t up."

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Tell that to Cleveland... lol

In all honesty, I thought Trammell got shafted when he was fired. Then they hired Leyland the next day and I thought "all right, this might work". I still do. Like you said, 6 1/2 games isn't an insurmountable deficit, especially in May. Something has to be done about the weak spots on this team, though. The middle of the relief corps stinks. I thought Verlander was hurt until last night (ya, I know, it's Seattle)...

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Terrific scene. Nice job, Dan.

Draft saved Draft deleted