1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lexington Herald-Leader buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Upstatesfinest, May 6, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yes.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Some of my favorite people in the business work there. Hope it works out.

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

You do realize I have to work with kysportswriter, right? Something's bound to get corrupted with that combo...

Anyhoo, when Fields or Tipton call and need something (roster, mug shot, phone number, whatever), we have never hesitated to help those guys out even though they are technically the competition. The LHL is still sold at quite a few places in the Elizabethtown metro area (aside: Yes, it is a metro area, dammit).

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I will second that Tipton is a machine who does great work.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, that's a relief. Points for honesty, I suppose.

Disciples of Conrad Fink must surely remember now more than ever the phrase "rising tide of shareholder expectations." I confess I didn't fully grasp it at the time. I sure as hell do now.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

central, you will pay for that. :D

7. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Sticking up a bit for the hometown shop, but to say that Tipton "owns" the UK beat is a bit strong. The Courier-Journal has had a few fair folks on that beat over the years, as a glance at the alumni will show:

Scott Fowler, Pat Forde, Mark Woods, Mark Coomes, Rusty Hampton, Michael Smith and now Brett Dawson.

Can't think of one of them who was "owned."

But Tipton is great. He's relentless and deserves every bit of praise he gets.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Jerry Tipton isn't a TV star, but there has never been a more worthy USBWA Hall of Famer.

Draft saved Draft deleted