1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letting your readers/viewers do your job for you

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Watching late news tonight and they're showing some prep football highlights from tonight (we have Thanksgiving Day football; some teams play Wednesday night), then show a huge ass logo for their "Thanksgiving Day Spectacular," which is just a shitty no-thought 15 second clip on each game show.
    On screen below the logo is text telling people to call in scores, then the talking head says something like "we need help so please call in scores from your game."
    Games are done by 2 p.m. The RIIL provides a full list of coaches and contact numbers. Most of the coaches are going to call anyway, so here's a fucking idea - DO YOUR JOB AND CALL THE COACHES YOURSELF!!!
    I don't care if any of them are members here - which I seriously doubt - but every single TV person in my state (not hard to guess which one) is completely and utterly useless. I fucking hate them and wish they would have some respect for their viewers and television journalism.
    Rant over.

2. Rhody31

And it's not like there's a ton of coaches to get in contact with even if no one else calls.
    We have 43 football-playing schools, 8 of them played Wednesday, so that leaves 35 (one team plays a CT team). That means, at most, you have to contact 17 people for maybe three minutes apiece, which would be a grand total of 51 minutes of work. Not fucking hard.
    Now rant over.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agree with you, Rhody. No excuse for that in a state our size. I could vaguely understand if they asked for people to send in video or pictures, as a way to get something from that 21-8 game between two winless teams you couldn't get out to. But just results? Lazy. The Friars aren't even playing tomorrow, so they should have their full staff available.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

But ... but ... what ever happened to teamwork? And pride in your community?

Not only should you call in the scores at stats, you should also give them a detailed report anytime anything big breaks anywhere near you.

Lord knows they don't have the resources to be everywhere all the time.

:)

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Rhody: You didn't finish one of your sentences "(One team plays a CT team)"

You forget: "In the greatest Thanksgiving Day rivalry in the history of sport."

Go Bulldogs!

Nope, never lost to Stonington in the four years I was there.

6. Rhody31

As a loyal Townie, i disagree with your assessment on the greatest Thanksgiving rivalry.

Draft saved Draft deleted