1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letterman to retire in 2015

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Apr 3, 2014.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Someone seriously suggested Amy Schumer? Jesus, that's absurd.

Amy Schumer's funny, but I'm not really sure a network is going to build a middle America talk show around "I'm such a whore," which is most of her schtick.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Why does it have to be a comedian? Dave first and foremost considered himself a broadcaster. Maybe find someone fresh who has personality, a unique sense of humor, and broadcast experience. Just thinking out loud.

Other thoughts: I will always love the Alka-Seltzer suit. No Craigy Ferg without Geoffrey for me, I'd rather he stay on Late Late Show. "Whoops, there goes my penis."

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Willie Geist fits that description.Versatile broadcaster with great sense of humor that has to
    stay fairly buttoned up in the format he's in. Just not well known enough to
    get slotted into the 11:30 desk right away though.

Ferguson seems a bit too quirky for the 11:30 slot.Seems better suited for
    the 12:30.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I don't think we're going to see anyone like Schumer or Anthony Jeselnik getting this gig. Both are funny as hell, but these are the same networks who think Jon Stewart could be too polarizing. He's been passed over at least three times for Ferguson and Kimmel and one other (maybe Conan).

I think if Stewart wasn't making as much as he is now, he'd be in the conversation, Rock is polarizing and if for some reason he wanted to do it, they'd figure there would be enough of an upside to do it. Same with Stern. But they're not going young and controversial, especially for the 11:30 spot.

Ellen has come up a lot. I think it would be a mistake for her since she's probably making huge money and has a bigger audience now than she would at 11:30.

5. Mizzougrad96

Ellen made $56 million last year. I'm guessing CBS will not top that.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is that true?

What kind of ratings does her show get?

I'm guessing she must own all or a part of the show to make that much, but it's astounding her show could even bring in that kind of revenue.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

@ESPNSteveLevy: what u cant c is 26 Melrose on the back @NHLBarryMelrose RT @RobinsonMegan Young David Letterman, a #MapleLeafs fan.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Mizzougrad96

She owns her show and, according to Forbes, she has 3.5 million viewers a day. That's more than the average late-night ratings, but with a show like Ellen, and it was this way with Oprah, they know exactly the demographic who are watching the show and when that demographic is housewives, who do most of the purchasing for their houses, that's an advertiser's dream.

9. Mizzougrad96

http://www.forbes.com/profile/ellen-degeneres/

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I like the idea of Willie Geist.

But if I'm CBS I go with this guy, who is a star in the making:

[​IMG]

11. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Clearly this is Ronan Farrow's job to lose.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

As someone who watched Letterman starting in 1987 and also started taping Late Night and watching it after school I think Letterman kinda' changed his game when he went to CBS in 1993.

He seemed dialed down. Less wacky. I think part of his irreverence at 12:30 a.m. was not only his personality but also his overall disdain for General Electric, Warren Littlefield and Brandon Tartikoff. I think every odd prank he played in the building (like having professional bowler Mike Aubly bowling in the office hallways) was his personal way of saying "fuck you guys." Well before the snubbing for Leno for the Tonight Show, Letterman would take shots at NBC management who he considered nothing more than bombastic stuffed shirts.

When he got to CBS he has a management team which was committed to him financially and personally, which means he didn't have that fight that fight anymore. Sadly, that fight was a big part of what made the old show so damned fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted