1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letterman to retire in 2015

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Apr 3, 2014.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

He will announce it on tonight's show.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/david-letterman-to-retire-from-cbs-in-2015-1201152380/

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There has to be no doubt that The Lady Gaga performance last night had to drive him to
    this decision. Definitely an "I'm getting too old for this shit moment"

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I love that Mike Mills broke the news.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Since he owns the show, he picks his replacement right?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm in the same camp with the many who believe he retired years ago.

6. Mizzougrad96

I used to Tivo Letterman and Kimmel every night and would often watch them back-to-back. It's amazing to see the difference in someone who is excited, happy and loves what he's doing as opposed to Letterman, who would bring his A-game when he had a Julia Roberts or a Bruce Willis or Howard Stern on, but would phone it in the rest of the time.

Letterman's A-game is better than anyone, but you might get that five times a year.

7. Mizzougrad96

I can't imagine her working for Letterman, but Chelsea Handler is available.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Depends. Do they replace Dave, or do they replace the show? I assume it's in a contract somewhere, but I suspect they replace the show.

9. Mizzougrad96

From a financial standpoint, that's what they should do. That might also get them out of the deal Ferguson signed that assures him of being Dave's successor.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Mike Mills from REM? Awesome guy. Big baseball fan. We golfed and drank together in Vegas for a couple days back in the late '90s.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Six posts. Boy, would I have missed on the high side with that. :)

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Craig Ferguson's CBS contract also expires in 2015, so if CBS opts to buy him out instead of giving him the prestigious Late Show, he could end up leaving the network altogether, leaving the network's 12:35 slot vacant, as well.

http://splitsider.com/2014/04/david-letterman-announced-hes-retiring-in-2015/

Draft saved Draft deleted