1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letterman remembers Warren Zevon's last appearance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 3, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That documentary was tough to watch. It was also illuminating to me to see Stevie Nicks talk about Warren Zevon for some reason.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

On the YouTubes you can find Zevon singing Prince's Raspberry Beret, of all things, on an Letterman (NBC) appearance.

I'm a big, big fan of Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School.

Imagine the esteem he must have been held in by fellow musicians to have Mick Fleetwood and John McVie – at the height of their band's success – play behind him (Werewolves of London, for one) and, much later, the rhythm section from R.E.M. (Sentimental Hygiene).

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Zevon's album with the REM guys as the Hindu Love Gods is awesome. Their cover of Prince's "Raspberry Beret" was unreal.

Zevon's Stand In The Fire is one of the great live albums ever. Is that out on CD yet? I wore out the cassette I had of it.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

His ex-wife Crystal's book "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon" was great. Warren could be a raging asshole and a very bad drunk, but there's no doubt (to me, at least) he was a genius.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For a couple of years, I had "Werewolves of London" as my cell phone ringtone.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I'll second the recommendation of "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead." Great book.

Ya gotta love any artist who starts a song with the words, "Grandpa pissed his pants again ..."

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

...."I went home with a waitress, the way I always do....How was I to know, she was with the Russians too?"

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I didn't come to Maui to be treated like a jerk
    Howd'ya think it feels when I see the bellboys smirk?

YD&OHS, etc

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Zevon's cover of "Back In The High Life Again" on his final album is a masterpiece.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't remember that on The Wind, which was Zevon's final CD he recorded before he died.

There was a cover of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" on there, which was REALLY poignant since Zevon actually was.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You're right, it's on Life'll Kill Ya.

Still haunting.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yes, it is. I picked it up just recently. I'm blanking right now, but I think there are bonus tracks.

And on a sports board, no one's mentioned "Ballad of Bill Lee" or "Boom Boom Mancini"?

Draft saved Draft deleted