1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letterman extorted for $2 million for sex tales

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Oct 1, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Of all days to leave my moral indignation on the dresser on my way out the door. Damn.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm the biggest prude in the world, and I fail to see what the big deal is.

Affairs were going on between coworkers. Gee, that never happens.

What I do find sad is that a "journalist," and yes, there are a few good journalists working on some of those newsmag shows-- would be so desperate as to attempt extortion. What a complete sad sack excuse for a human being.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Maybe it's me, but I really don't think it's this is a big deal. I'm sure he spoke with his wife about it, and I bet that the higher ups at CBS knew about it too.

4. Isn't the guy a producer? Does that make him a journalists?
    Plus, I see where he was living with one of the women who had - or is having - an affair with letterman.
    Jealousy makes you do strange things.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

YES - In TV, producers are usually more journalist than the "talent." In most cases, they do 75% of the reporting.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

According to the NY Post, the woman the extortionist was living with was Stephanie Birkett, who also went by "Vicki" on the air — she was the chick who would bring the prizes to Dave when he'd do "Stump the Band" out in the audience, among other appearances. So, she's much younger. Still no big deal, IMHO. And since wifey was a staffer, that could be your "multiple" staffers. *Yawn*, unless more info comes out.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Letterman doesn't strike me as the womanizer type. I'm guessing he took advantage of what was being thrown at him or what was extremely convenient. I'd be more surprised if he had an affair with someone who didn't work for the show or CBS or NBC when he was there.

I'm not defending him, but it seems to me like he wasn't even committing adultry since he just got married about a year ago. Cheating on a girlfriend isn't a cool thing to do, especially when she's the mother of his son, but it's not the same as cheating on a wife.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

According to Google images, this is the woman.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I want to know what kind of an extortionist accepts a check?

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This chick obviously digs older guys.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

As for the audience reaction, it was the same deal with the Michael Richards (Seinfeld) apology) -- the crowd hadn't heard the news, so assumed it was a bit.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I knew who the next post was coming from. :D

And from the time I saw him going through the motions with the riffraff on the $100.000 Pyramid before he became famous, I knew Letterman's image was a bit crafted.

Draft saved Draft deleted