1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letterman alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jan 30, 2009.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Never broadcast footage of comedian Bill Hicks is coming up. Along with an interview with his mother.

Should be some wild stuff.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thanks for the mention. I'm watching.

3. imjustagirl

That was super cool. Thanks again.

He actually looked younger there than he does on the "Bill Hicks Live" DVD I have. I didn't find out about him until a handful of years ago, and saw some of his stuff...then was stunned to find out he died at 32. Looked MUCH older earlier in his career.

4. NoOneLikesUs

I thought his bit was funny, but damn was it sad seeing his mom up there. Dave handled it well, I think. To admit you're wrong on something 15 years later and look like you mean it is difficult, yet he generally seemed upset - especially when Bill's segment ended.

5. imjustagirl

If I'm guessing, Dave pulled it for the part about how gay men are disgusting and wrong. But ... who knows?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hicks was, I'm pretty sure, bigger in Britain than he was in the U.S. He always toured extensively around the country, and had a huge following.

Absolutely brilliant, I used to listen to his albums all the time. It's amazing to me he wasn't a superstar here. I guess right now he would be, since the boundaries he pushed back are now de riguer among stand-ups.

7. NoOneLikesUs

Well the first part was just brutal on a few people who would be considered as guests during that time period.
    There hasn't been another one like him. He went always went for the kill whether it was cussing out some drunk bitch in Chicago or annihilating Rush Limbaugh.

8. T2

T2 Member

My guess is that it was the first part, advocating the killing of celebrities, that got the bit pulled.

I remember watching in 1993 what I assume was the edited version of the Letterman show in question. The editing was not smooth at all; it must have been done well after the show had been taped and the regular announcer had gone home. Dave had to do a voice-over himself to bridge a gap. I remarked at the time that if they felt they had to do such a hatchet job on a completed show, there must have been something really awful in it that they couldn't allow to go on the air.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i missed the opening minutes. why did letterman have mom on and why play the footage now?

10. imjustagirl

We're coming up on 15 years since Hicks' death (Feb. 26? I can't remember) and that was his last appearance on Letterman, about four months before his death. So it was Dave trying to atone for robbing him of that last appearance and wanting to apologize to his mom.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That is so NSFW but damn funny. Thank God I'm the only one here on a Saturday afternoon.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I believe there's a documentary on Hicks coming out, and Letterman wanted to apologize for the '93 situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted