1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letter to My Younger Self by Albert Haynesworth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jul 8, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Letter to My Younger Self | The Players' Tribune

Raise your hand if you're shocked that Haynesworth lost most of the $40M he got from the Redskins. But hey, it wasn't his fault!

"When you hit free agency, the Washington Redskins are going to offer you $100 million. Everyone will talk about this (they won’t talk about the fact that most of that money is not guaranteed, or that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers offered you $135 million). The $100 million will become a huge burden. Take less and stay in Tennessee where you belong."

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Part of the message to Younger Albert needs to be along these lines:

When someone - anyone - offers to pay you $100M to do what you have chosen to do for a living, you owe it to that someone AND to yourself to work as hard as you can to succeed in your line of work.

If that message is in the letter to Younger Albert, I missed it.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In retirement, you will discover that your financial advisor has squandered most of the money you made with the Redskins, and he will be under investigation for financial fraud.

Hey, fourteen-year-old Albert: Never give your power of attorney to your financial advisor. Learn to read, and sign your own contracts. Dumbass.

JackReacher likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not absolving Albert Haynesworth for being a fool and his money. But if you ever get a chance, find something that details what was going on inside that Morgan Stanley office in Tennessee. Haynesworth's advisor was wearing a wire for the FBI, which was investigating fraud inside that office. Then he was fired by Morgan Stanley, which claimed it had nothing to do with him being a whistleblower, but was because he took kickbacks from an agent to steer Haynseworth to the agent. And at the same time Haynesworth sued (and eventually went to arbitration) the broker for not insuring him. It's a giant soap opera.

5. JackReacher

Most things are usually giant soap operas with Haynesworth.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Most things are usually giant with Haynesworth.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Player's Tribune article didn't mention laying down during a play on Monday Night Football. And staying down.

8. JackReacher

I'm sure Shanahan told him to do that!

Draft saved Draft deleted