1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letter in Dec. 22's SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hwkcrz1, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

are all of teague's interviews for this story on tape?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Whoops.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Well, that's one way to lose credibility.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Ya know, I read both those letters before stumbling upon this thread. While I don't think either of them really changes the merits of the story substantially, and Tom Petty might be right that these people would object no matter what, the bottom line I take out of this is that the writer ginned it up a little. Especially if you look at the dad's letter. Thing is, it's not a story that needed hyping.
    And I certainly didn't think it was something SI shouldn't have done. When I read it, I thought exactly the opposite -- that this is an all too rare example of the old SI, the true SI, that isn't about what some NBA guard I never heard of thinks of Britney's comeback album.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are the parents still together?

I ask because I could see the writer getting info from Dad and the mother being pissed he relayed it to the writer. And vice versa.

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

Is Teague on SI staff? I'd never heard of him. Who is he?

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The bottom line is that SI should have included some kind of editor's reponse with the letter, either acknowledging the truth of what the mom wrote, or standing by the writer's version. It cries out for further explanation.

8. jps

jps Active Member

agreed.

9. beeranyone

beeranyone New Member

No doubt they fact-checked it and someone is obviously not being totally truthful. But to not attach a note from the editors to this letter makes the writer seem as though he's the dog in this scenario. It's not just irresponsible to print the letter out without context, it's lazy.

10. M. Teague

M. Teague New Member

Hi,

I felt compelled to say a word in my own defense, here. I have great sympathy for the Carnegie family in every way, but I must say something no one has, yet: The quote in question did not come from some untrustworthy source, but rather from the deceased young man's father, in a recorded interview.

Thanks for your time, and best wishes --

Matthew Teague

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why didn't the editors back you in the letter's section? That's what I'm curious about. It seemed with a letter like that, that there should have been an editor's note.

12. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

Matthew, thanks for posting your letter.

Draft saved Draft deleted