1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letter in Dec. 22's SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hwkcrz1, Dec 18, 2008.

1. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

I find it interesting that this is the second straight issue with a letter about the story.
    http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1149605/index.htm

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I see the father is quoted, the mother isn't (unless I missed it). I'm assuming the kid's quote came from either a) the dad, who recounted it or b) some co-workers/co-campers who overheard it.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't live far enough out to have cougars and bear, yet i do. i can live with bear, but the first time i see a cougar and have time to get my gun, say good night to mr. cat.

and deer? the PNW is overrun by these pests. year round hunting up here would be a good thing.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Both the mom and the dad weigh in on this message board about the story:

http://www.mtechservices.ca/Kenton/index.php/topic,213.0.html

The mom says she never spoke to the writer.

If true, why did he put quote marks around the phone conversation and present it as though he did talk to her?

5. Pete Incaviglia

Like I said, maybe he's writing what fellow campers heard. I have no idea.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, that would make sense. Shouldn't he have said that somewhere, though?

I certainly read it like he talked to the mom.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think these people would bitch no matter what was written.

8. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Wolves very, very rarely kill humans, but that doesn't mean they won't think about it. I know a former RCMP who has told me all sorts of stories about wolves. Usually they're not interested in humans, but if they're stalking a mother with a baby in a stroller walking her dog on a populated street, it's pretty scary nonetheless. (EDIT: I should say stalking the dog which happens to be tethered to a human with a stroller.)

I have absolutely nothing against hunting, but increased hunting isn't going to guarantee anyone's safety in such a massive country with such a low population per rural square mile. There are so many wild animals up north that I cannot fathom a level of recreational hunting that would remove all elements of danger.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Taft was eaten by wolves.

10. Pete Incaviglia

That's what I was thinking afterward. At least say "he said in a phone conversation overheard by fellow campers" or something to that effect.

But yes, it reads like he asked the mom "what did he say when he called you?"

11. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I took the quote as having been relayed by others at the camp site, but I guess it would have been best for everyone if he had said that. I find the father's comments interesting. While I understand what he's saying and I don't necessarily believe people/hunters "murder" animals, I definitely don't believe animals "murder" people.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I guess I was thinking more general, not specific. I'd smell a suit in some circumstances, but since Kenton is dead, you're right. This might not be one of those times. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted