1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letter from a parent that makes me want to quit on the spot, now.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brain of J, Jan 12, 2007.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Brain: When it takes a reader to point out that your section photos are blurry, then someone on your end is asleep at the wheel. Ditto for stories with mistakes in them, beyond the occasional typo or misspelled name.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'll agree with that, too, which should bring the apologists for mediocrity running again.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

See, I don't think anyone is saying "Don't worry, kiddo, fucking up is cool!" I think we're all saying "Hey, take the complaints seriously, fix the problem and don't jump off the building -- just do better."

4. Agree with Pilot. No one is telling this kid it's OK to be mediocre. We're telling him that we've all fucked up before and if he wants to stay in the business and get better, we'll help him.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't apologize for mediocrity, I embrace it. Don't worry, Dye. You'll rise to mediocrity one day.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And now the apologists for mediocrity are panting after their run.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, but the fact is that you've never proven anything more than mediocrity here. So for all anyone knows, it's the blind leading the blind ... that is, if anyone followed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dammit, even the best threads get dragged into the mud. All it takes is your contribution.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's my bad, shottie.

Carry on folks. Feed J Brain.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I got down in the mud with him, too, Ace. One thing I swore I wouldn't do on this thread.

Please, we've been giving this guy pretty damn good advice. It's a good thing.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I came in today to an anonymous voice mail telling me that today's sports section was "the worst I've ever seen ... Jesus Christ, what a mess."

Perfect way to start the day.

11. statrat

statrat Member

I got an email from a guy today complaining about how "I never run the scores" of school x, and they never get any pictures on the front page. I wrote him back and told him to check the roundup section, where every score, for every school, along with a game summary, is placed. I also told him to open the most recent paper, where school x is on the front page, along with several big action photos. I have yet to get a response.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I had a dime for every time that happened to me .... well, I'd have a bunch of dimes for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted