1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letter from a parent that makes me want to quit on the spot, now.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brain of J, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let me see if I've got this com-pre-hen-shun thing right.

On a thread where everyone is trying to give some advice to a young journalist, you first make a crack about design.

Then you agree with someone about how the SportsJournalists.com folks sadly don't bust people enough or accept being busted for making mistakes.

So if you were being helpful to the lad in all that, I sincerely apoplogize.

Sounds like you were just doing your sour grump schtick.

2. OK, so it's a few hours. Again, it's not hard to turn around a gamer in that time. I started out as SE of a chain of weeklies, so I know about "weekly reporting." If you can't turn a gamer around in that time, you shouldn't be in this business, sorry to say.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This thread has turned a little depressing. Not sure why it seems that the prevailing attitude among some here is "no one cares about X" and "gamers are boring to write and read" ... I'm not saying that every gamer should be an award-winner, or every assignment should be approached like it's the Super Bowl, but jesus ... you're hurting yourself immeasurably if you don't take pride in your own work. Doesn't matter where you're at, how much feedback you get, how mundane the game or story ... taking a little more pride will go a long way.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If you're working at a weekly, you shouldn't be writing gamers unless the game took place the night before people get the paper. If you're a Friday paper and you have games on Saturday and Tuesday, they can be hit in a week-in-review blurb. You don't need 20 inches on a game that old. And if you're in a weekly paper in the shadows of a daily (like me), you really shouldn't be doing gamers at all. By that point, everyone has the results and the scorers. Focus on something else.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Sounds like you're doing the protect-the-usual-mediocrity schtick.

My first suggestion would be something it's already too late for J of Brian to do: Take live game shots for practice.

Then he'd be ready for taking live game shots for real.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

So ... why didn't you say that first ... as something to do the next time ... rather than throwing off the stupid one-liners? That's all we're saying, DyePack. You probably can be quite helpful if you ever get over your bitterness about the business.

7. statrat

statrat Member

I agree. Sometimes you have to feed the beast, but you can at least feed the beast something that reads well. If you want to be bitter about your job, go write copy for a health care provider or something and get out of the way so that someone who is actually enthused about the business can give it a shot.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. Not every assignment is going to topple a government or encourage an offensive lineman to stuff you in a trash can.

I took it as a challenge. How can I find a feature that is different or interesting? What angle can I write on this game advance that would be unusual? What kind of notes can I find that are intriguing, not just something to fill a page.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm in your same boat: here's some advice I've picked up in 18 months on the job.

Photography can be a real black hole of time, worry and money. Still, it's not hard to take at least descent pictures of any sport. Getting someone to show you how is difficult, however. The problem is there's the basics, which allow you to get the easy shot, then it can get very complicated trying to improve upon that. Then you start worrying about the equipment you have, and you start worrying about where you're standing and shot composition .. the basics though, the basics I think I have done. Let me try, in as few words as possible:

If your shooting Digital SLR, (one where you change the lens, basically, usually a Nikon or a Canon) set your ISO as high as it will go without looking terrible, so probably about 1600. Set your White Balance (WB) to A (Automatic) and put shooting mode on on Manual (M).

Then there are only two settings that still matter: shutter speed and f-stop. Shutter speed is how long the shutter stays open, thus how much light gets in. The longer it's open, the more light. Also, the more stuff that will change while it's open. The number you'll be seeing is in fractions of a second, i.e. if it says 60, that's 1/60 of a second.

F-Stop is how big the hole inside the camera lens is. The larger the hole, the more light gets in. The size of the hole also dictates how much is in focus. With a large hole, very little is in focus besides what you are actually focusing on. With a small hole, a lot is in focus. The larger the hole, the smaller the f-stop number. So, 2.8 would be a big hole. 22 would be a small hole.

You need to find a good balance between those two settings. If you want a higher f-stop (smaller hole, less light, more in focus) you'll need a slower shutter speed to compensate (slower shutter speed = more light). That makes shooting sports hard, however, because stuff moves fast. I usually set my f-stop as low as possible, so with as big of a hole as possible, if you will, thus allowing me to keep my shutter speed at around 200 or 250. You can basically stop action at those shutter speeds. If you go much slower, like down to 160 or so, you'll get blurry stuff. There's almost no point, unless you're shooting someone standing still or moving slowly (fat people.) (Just kidding.) (Well ... slow fat people, and maybe handicapped people.)

Your lowest possible f-stop will depend on the lens. The lowest ones get really expensive, however, you should make someone buy you a 50 mm f 1.8 lens. They're usually like $100-$150 and make for really good indoor lenses for basketball and volleyball.

Also, don't be afraid to flash the shit out of stuff. Don't use the pop up flash unless it's your only option. Make them buy you a flash for the top and set it to automatic (TTL is basically auto). Don't flash people when they're shooting a free throw or something, but otherwise, don't worry about it.

Hope that helps some ... photos are frustrating because it gets complicated fast. Try stuff out though and ask people. Probably about 50% of the people in the stands fancy themselves some sort of amateur photographer, so one of them might be able to help a little, at least.

As for the rest, I'm right with ya. I'm 18 months into my first job, working at a weekly and doing tons I never planned on (like photos). My advice about the stats -- keep what you can, be honest about what you'll be able to keep track of and don't worry about the rest. I can't count rebounds. I just can't. I count them for the first 5 minutes, then get distracted and next thing I know it's the fourth quarter and I've marked 6 rebounds, total. I also have a hard time counting missed shots when I'm trying to take pictures through a whole game. I always try to keep them, but sometimes I just can't. (Oh, take lots of pictures. Don't just take 5 and count on one working. Take 105 and you'll greatly increase your chances of getting a good one.)

I keep a running score and play by play, then count up stats later, or get them from a coach. As for the names, always grab a program. I always grab three or four because I'm afraid I'll forget or lose mine.

Still, sometimes you just don't know, whether it's stats, names or other details. In those situations, don't guess. Write around it. There's no way you'll be the worst. I know a guy that commonly refers to players in gamers by saying "then No. 25 shot the ball" ... don't do that, but if you don't find a way around it. It might sound a little stupid, but you won't be wrong, people won't bitch at you and you can mark it as a lesson learned and make sure you do better next time.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And don't ever think you're the bottom of the good chain.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

He's already on the job. It's kind of late to tell him to practice, don't you think?

As far as helping, I just think of the joke about the guy who waited to be rescued from his roof during a flood. He turned down numerous offers of help, then wondered in the afterlife why he hadn't been helped.

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Pilot's offered a good outline of the basics of photography. There are some other issues, mostly concerning flash, but that's an excellent base of knowledge to have.

I can offer some useful advice about not only shooting, but shooting and keeping stats (for a number of sports) at the same time.

If you're interested, PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted