1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letter from a parent that makes me want to quit on the spot, now.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brain of J, Jan 12, 2007.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Spot, still trying to split the atom.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I always respond with "I'm one step ahead of you! I spoke to Coach X yesterday. Look for a feature/package/story in the next few days."

What you're really saying is "I've already been doing my job without your help, thanks!"

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That IS a good way to go.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You just gotta be positive, make them feel like their idea was a good one, even if you had it first. Keeps from burning a bridge but gets the point across.

6. No, I mean when they leave an anonymous voicemail saying we need to write about something -- which is almost always hateful.
    If they actually talk to us or leave a callback number, I'll gladly play nice and say, "I'm working on that story as we speak." But when they don't leave one, there is that little part of you that wants to hold off on the story just to keep from giving that person the satisfaction of thinking their dickheadedness have some positive effect.
    I haven't ever held a story for that reason and I won't, but man, it would almost be worth it.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i've held that story, hell, in fact i've killed that story and felt very, very good about it.

8. Well, I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to the subject or the readers. If you let some idiot parent affect your coverage that much, then they have a point, don't they? It's like, they called because they thought they could get you to do something. Their call got you to NOT do something, which is just as bad, to me.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

disagree, and still feel good about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted