1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's try this again: Candidates and their qualifications...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CopyGK, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Interesting take. I thought the American economy depended on massive credit card debt, though.

2. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

I got A LOT out of that!

3. Or a decent hatmaker, I'll bet.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

It's not always the "white male vs. everyone else" fight.

I know I've told this story on here before: I was a candidate for a job where the all-male department had been told to hire a woman. I was very qualified (and willing to work on the cheap), but the person who ended up with the job had zero experience in the field and was fresh out of college. Her only 'qualification': she was a smokin' hot former BCS school cheerleader.

It seemed as though the guys in the department felt if they had to hire a woman, they were going to make it worth their while. Obviously I wouldn't want to work at a place that hired based on appearance. But qualified women/minorities also get the shaft in relation to unqualified hires.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be fair, I bet they would have hired the smokin' hot former cheerleader even if she hadn't gone to a BCS school.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

And this is not to say that I am not smokin' hot myself, just that I would always rather be evaluated on my merits than appearance. ;)

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, that schoolmarm outfit is a deal killer on interviews I bet.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I hadn't read that one before, Cadet. That is truly disgraceful and unprofessional.

There are all kinds of bad hires. I just think there are some occasions when diversity-driven hires are among the bad ones.

9. scalper

scalper Member

As bad as it is to get passed over for whatever reason, it's even tougher to get downsized. And that happens in radio and tv at least as much as at newspapers. Reach a certain age and salary, and they can't wait to shove you out the door.

In a way, it sometimes allows the suits to double-dip: push out the oldster making more money, regardless of that person's gender or race, and then hire young, cheap and diverse.

10. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

So what you're saying is that they discriminated against cheerleaders from non-BSC conferences/schools when they were hiring?

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Fenian, it makes many things difficult.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

3 bags said: "I am extremely bitter at those who made the decision and am currently doing everything I possibly can to thumb my nose in their faces."

that actually explains plenty, dude.

and, you still frequent a sportsjournalists web site ... wow.

exhale, exhale slowly.

Draft saved Draft deleted