1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's talk cars (again)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by audreyld, Jun 5, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

mltru2tx has smoke coming out of his engine, and I have broken timing chain guides, which will any day become a busted timing chain and a whole big mess.

So, while he's gonna get his fixed, I'm gonna get a new car, and I'm looking for recommendations.

Keep in mind I'm a grad student who intends to go back into journalism, so "new" just means something in better shape than my about-to-die '97 Explorer.

I'd like something good on gas, and reliable. If I could afford it, I'd buy a new Prius and feel good about the contribution I'm making to our environment, but again, I'm in grad school.

Thoughts?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're a grad student who is going back into journalism?

I hope you enjoy walking.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

UT, take a look at Click & Clack's Auto Advisor, from the guys who host NPR's Car Talk. It only recommends new vehicles, but its recommendation can always be extrapolated back a couple of years.

4. lono

lono Active Member

This is a total no-brainer.

Buy a 2- to 3-year-old Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. They don't break, they are great with gas and cheap to insure.

They don't have any flash, but you didn't list that as being important.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

:)

I am taking my bicycle back to Austin...

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

In your situation, there simply are no other choices.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Then just hope it doesn't get stolen and sold off for parts.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

UT, I met Denise McLuggage on a travel junket ... she's been an automotive writer since the '60s. I asked her what her favourite car was and she gave me some rare-breed Lamborghini model ... but then I said what if you're on a budget. She said the '06 Ford Fusion was the best bang for your buck. She called it 'fun.'

9. You need to get a 6000 SUX

[​IMG]

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I really like the Dodge Caliber. It looks good, is relatively cheap as cars go ($15K), and gets great gas mileage.

[​IMG]

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Honda or Toyota are the only choices.

I would also buy from Carmax. They will even give you a warranty for the next 60k miles if you pay a little more.

They base their business on not selling pieces of crap. They just won't give you much for you trade.

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I rented a Fusion a couple of weeks ago for a quick trip to Austin. It was, in fact, a fun car.

Right now, I'm hoping to buy my dad's '04 Camry, but will definitely keep these suggestions in mind if that doesn't pan out.

Let me know if you have other ideas.

Draft saved Draft deleted