1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's talk about "talk about"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Feb 4, 2014.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Coach, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like you to talk about your team's performance today, sir."

2. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I don't use the talk about phrase unless it's in response to a short answer that really should be expanded upon. Doesn't really make a difference though how you phrase it. "Coach, you substituted Johnny Jones in and you guys went on a 10-2 run to really blow the game open? What did he bring to xx lineup? Response: Energy. Can you (I typically use this) expand on that (or talk about), what specifically did he do on the court to help blow this one open?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

There are some interview subjects who struggle with going into much detail if you ask them straightforward questions, but "talk about" can serve as a way to get the person to give more insight.They can give you in one response what might otherwise take three or four follow-up questions to get the same info.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I have used the "Can you expand on that?" question many times when I've gotten a short answer. It works perfectly and isn't aggressive or demanding. This is one of my fallbacks when regular questioning fails to generate a meaningful reply. Highly reccomend! ++1

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If you say "talk about" to an interviewee you are opening yourself up to some bad things. For one, the subject might say something snarky like, 'say please.' Or 'no.' You've got to form a question. If you are going to do the 'talk about' thing I just think you are lazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted