1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's talk about "talk about"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Feb 4, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Malcolm Moran on the importance of actually asking a question: http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/moran-the-art-of-the-question/

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Hate when people do this.
    I'm guilty of using it now and then, usually when I'm doing a 1-on-1 postgame and in the middle of the prep kid's rambling I forget my next question and say "talk about" something so I can figure out what the hell I wanted to ask.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've always thought this was navel-gazing bullshit.

It's incumbent upon the interviewer to know his subject as best they can. If they respond better to a "talk about" question rather than a direct one, so be it.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You should reach out to them instead.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Maybe we should refer to the other 57 threads about this topic on SportsJournalists.com.

Talk about a subject that's been beaten to death around here. Geez.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. Schottey

Schottey Member

My pet peeve with the column is that twice there is clearly a question: "How do you prepare...?" and "Can you talk about...?" and Moran says "there isn't a question." Those are questions. The first one wasn't even egregious. He used "talk about" but also included a ton of information that he wanted specific response to. The second one may be lazy and the answer may be, "Yes, I can talk about it, next..." But, as a piece of syntax, it's still a question.

Did an interview with a draft prospect last night and caught myself using the phrase twice in a 20 minutes phone interview. Both times I got perfectly fine responses because I used follow ups and did more prodding. In that way, it probably has a little more room in a one-on-one than in a presser where you don't have that back-and-forth.

TL;DR "Can you talk about...?" may be a stupid question, but it's still a question!

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Malcolm's one of the all-time good guys, and I agree with what he's going for here. I think it's semantics to rail against someone saying "Can you talk about xxxx?" and then suggest, as reform, "Could you explain ..." and "Would you describe ..." -- perhaps more polite, yes, but no less casual an entry into a conversation. Yes, "talk about" is a crutch we should avoid. I'm not a fan of 45-second questions either ...

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The only thing worse than using "talk about" as a question is crusading against using "talk about" as a question.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm sick of this discussion. Half the reporters who mock it are guilty of it at times.

10. tmr

tmr Member

I'll take "talk about" over some reporter rambling on for a minute trying to formulate a "know it all" question.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I get where they are coming from. They are going fishing, hoping the subject will say something interesting out of the blue. OK, fine. There are moments where you have the perfect question and other times when you got nuthin'.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

100% agreed.

You don't get style points for questions. Ask the question however you want. You should be working to get an answer, not to impress other journalists.

Draft saved Draft deleted