1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's start a Kevin Durant discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hey, it worked up until 1995 or so when all the diaper dandies started declaring.

Durant is a fuckin' stud, and I'm no Longhorn fan. He's 1A and 1B with Oden as far as I'm concerned.

Olowokandi was a project from the word go.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I was reading somewhere recently where an NBA brass type was quoted as saying the talent available at last year's No. 4-5 pick in the lottery is comparable to the No. 24-25 pick in this year's draft (assuming Durant and Oden, most notably, come out).

This upcoming class could go down as one of the all-time greats.

3. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

I'd take Durant, but I couldn't argue against taking Oden. Should be a very interesting draft. Can't wait.

4. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

All this said, Tyler Hansbrough doesn't look nearly as sexy a pick as he did a year ago. He has a relentless motor, but his other tools pale in comparison to this year's board.

5. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Durant very well could end up being the best player, but you just can't pass up on the seven-footer. Oden is bulit for the NBA, he's ready right now to contribute, especially on the defensive end. Durant will be sort of a project at first and he may or may not pan out. It's a tough call, but put me down on the Oden side every time.

6. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Actually, I think all those busts were lottery picks.

Oden, as much as I love watching him, is more a defensive player than an offensive one. He has zero offensive moves. Still seems unsure in the post. Now maybe he doesn't have moves because he doesn't need them to dominate in college ... but you're getting a defensive, rebounding center with him.
    To me, he's like Okafor, with an inch or two.

You're not getting a Duncan-type who is going to be a 20-25 point scorer right out of the gate. Durant should be able to score 15ish as a rookie, maybe more.

And the best players in the league are all in Durant's mold
    Lebron 6-8, inside-outside
    Kobe 6-6, inside-outside
    Wade 6-4, inside-outside
    T-Mac 6-9, inside-outside

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Anybody that puts Oden in this company really needs another sport.
    Try cricket.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

I wish Oden was a lot more mobile.......if he ran the floor like Shaq did at 19, there would be no discussion.

That said, I would probably take Durant........but whoever gets Oden at 2 should feel like they stole something.

9. hachat11

hachat11 Member

Oden has no moves? Really? Have you actually watched?
    He uses his left-hand very well - thanks to the right wrist injury - has nice touch with it on baby hooks and even shoots free throws well. He also seems to have a nice spin move with good footwork and good hands. Not bad for a right-handed player playing left-handed.
    Either Oden or Durant will treat you very well as a No. 1 pick. Kind of like the '84 draft when the Rockets took Hakeem and the Bulls got Jordan (skipping over Sam Bowie entirely). Now both probably won't be as good as Hakeem and Jordan, but both teams were pretty happy with those picks, I would assume.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Not saying Oden has no moves, but he doesn't run the floor.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You're quite right, GB. And, I fully realize we've come too far to ever go back to this, but I loved college basketball quite a bit more when you were able to keep your starting lineups together for several years, and the team built a "personality."

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I just don't understand how you could take anyone over potentially the next great center. Even Durant, who deserves to be the No. 1 pick but isn't a 7-foot monster who could physically dominate the league.

I mean, he's playing with one damn hand right now. And shooting free throws as well as he is left-handed shows a great work ethic. And he just turned 19 two weeks ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted