1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's start a Kevin Durant discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

you always go with height, but i don't think you can't dismiss durant as not having a chance going first.

that's jordan in 84 ... fine, maybe not frail. but he doesn't have much on durant. plus, by the time the dunk contest rolls around in 08 of durant's rookie year, he'll have gained 10-15 lbs at least.

http://www.geocities.com/mjlove8485/love8485/8485ASRocktheBaby.jpg

draft is today (obvs depends on what you have)

1. durant
    1a. oden
    2. noah
    3. wright

it's funny how far josh mcroberts has fallen when he doesn't have shelden and redick to make him look good

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

ps - recent 7 foot busts

Darko
    Skitishican'tspellhisname (5th to nuggets)
    chandler (?)
    mihm
    przybillia
    weis to knicks
    candy man

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Bottom line, if I have any of the first three picks in the draft this year, I'm really, really happy with whoever I get.

But, gun to my head, I probably still take Oden. I take a potential franchise 7-foot center over a potential franchise 6-9 wing type.

But Durant (and hell, even Wright) would go No. 1 in a lot of years. They're all awesome players. I don't agree with not letting an 18-year-old go straight to the NBA and get his money if he's good enough, but selfishly, I love this rule.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What he said. A_F, Durant is an amazing player who will go very, very high when his time comes, but it's easier to get lucky finding an athletic 6-9 forward than a franchise 7-foot center, for obvious reasons. If it's that close between the two, you go with size.

As for the busts you listed, only Candy Man was expected to do great things. The rest were projects from the start. Oden won't be seen as a project when he's drafted.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Nice, accurate inbounds pass to the Clemson player a week or so ago, huh? Why should McRoberts' NBA prospects be any better than most Dukies. With a few exceptions such as Brand and Hill (when he's not hurt), Duke players become role players or get hurt. What's J.J.'s role this year for the Magic? Making sure the bench doesn't fly up?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oden's a manchild. I would have to take him first.

But I also might wind up kicking myself in four years when Kevin Durant is averaging 27 and change, and making everyone around him infinitely better.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I second this list.

Durant is a once-in-a-generation type player. Garnett with three-point range. He becomes even more valuable with so many teams looking for big men who can shoot. This guy will be a coach's dream in the NBA, because he'll allow for unreal spacing on the perimeter and also create horrible mismatches for the oppostion because of his size and the threat of him taking it to the basket.

I think Oden's going to be outstanding also, but the game is going away from back-to-the-basket, true center types. He'll impact the game defensively, no question, but offensively he's going to be limited to jump hooks and putbacks for a while. A less skilled but more athletic Duncan.

Wright is Durant without a jumper. Freak athlete. He's going to be a hell of a 3-4 type.

8. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

McRoberts will be a good "career" NBA player-- meaning he can rebound, pass and play the post. Will he be a star? Not likely. But he's a good investment.

And I'd take Durant.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

McRoberts will be a decent change-of-pace big guy off the bench someday. Great ballhandling skills for a post.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I love Duran't game but nobody is the NBA is passing up a potential franchise center for a small forward at No. 1

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The other thing here is that we are having this discussion having seen both players on the college level. We are anticipating them coming into the league actually having seen what they can do. I think there will be a bigger buzz for draft night this year because more casual fans who have seen these guys play on a regular basis will be intersted in where each will play next season.

Maybe the NBA rule is going to work.

12. One thing we need to remember is that Greg Oden still has not recovered from his wrist injury. So, he is playing left-handed.
    That said, Kevin Durant seems like a sure thing while Oden has some off nights. NBA teams might want Oden simply for his defense and height. Otherwise, they'll scurry for Durant.
    Although, being a Buckeye fan, I hope Oden decides he wants to play another year in college and we never find out who gets picked over the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted