1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's settle this once and for all, Part Deux

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Feb 4, 2008.

?

Smile?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2008.
  1. One syllable

27 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. Two syllables

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's not what your girlfriend said.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My favorite joke about UK fans is that they're the only people on Earth who make "Cats" (Kha-yats) a two-syllable word.

And sorry IJAG, I'm with Spnited on this one. I've never once said Smy-uhl, unless I'm trying to take someone's picture.

Then again, I say "root" like "rut", yet tend to draw out every other O-word like I'm Fargo-on-crack, and use the word "bubbler" (the water fountain, not me in first person) in my normal speech.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Egads, man, did you not read the thread? he DOES say Smy-uhl, he just doesn't admit to it. I heard it with my own right ear! And then he denied it but put a smi-ley (also two syllables) admitting it in his own old-man way!!!

4. Bubbler

No I didn't read the thread. What is this? Communist Russia?

As for Spnited, maybe he's senile? Oh well. Time to put him in the home.

(Aren't you supposed to talk openly about putting someone in a home before actually doing it? Just trying to follow procedure here)

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

He's building castles in his oatmeal again. He's paying no attention.

6. so, senile would be three syllables?

7. Bubbler

Yeah. It's only a matter of time before he starts uncontrollably peeing himself.

It's going to be awkward to break it to him gently and tell him he got wet "swimming". Of course by mid-sentence, he'll plunge headlong into Murder, She Wrote and forget all about it.

I think Grandpa Simpson needs a roomie.

(Spnited is going to kill us for this)

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Be nice to the old guy. He's been a little glum ever since the McKinley assassination. Fuckin' Czolgosz.

Draft saved Draft deleted