1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's settle this once and for all, Part Deux

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Feb 4, 2008.

?

Smile?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2008.
  1. One syllable

27 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. Two syllables

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Merriam-Webster says one. I would have said two, but then, I am from Texas. Here's the phonetic pronunciation form M-W:
    \ˈsmī(-ə)l\
    The second part of the diphthong isn't quite pronounced enough to be its own syllable.
    Definition of diphthong: "A gliding monosyllabic speech sound (as the vowel combination at the end of toy) that starts at or near the articulatory position for one vowel and moves to or toward the position of another."
    Bottom line: while it's clearly a complex vowel sound with two distinct parts, according to the linguistic definition of syllables, "smile" is a one-syllable word. I admit, I'm slightly surprised.

Also, "clitorii" is ridiculous. :mad: The Latin form of the plural is clitores. Anglicized is clitorises. Clitorii? No fucking way. That's neither English nor Latin.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And I get that. And I'm not arguing with dooley, though he likes to think I am. I'm not saying the dictionary doesn't say that.

I'm asking how in the world you would actually say it in one syllable?

3. writing irish

Seems the layman's definition of syllables is a bit off. Linguists must laugh at us in the same way that I laughed at a stringer long ago when I got a baseball story that referred to one team scoring "points."

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like two damn syllables to me.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Sa-mile ... two syllables.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Third declension nominative plural.

The genitive plural is "clitorebus."

7. writing irish

Clitorii is 3rd declension nominative plural? Why am I thinking clitores? I've forgotten the declensions. It's been over 20 years.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Nah ... more like "smy-uhl" for me.

9. writing irish

Basic endings in the various declensions

Singular
    Case 1 f. 2 m. 2 n. 3 mf 3 n. 4 m. 4 n. 5 f.
    Nominative -a -us -um -us -u -es
    Genitive -ae -i -i -is -is -us -us -ei
    Dative -ae -o -o -i -i -ui -u -ei
    Accusative -am -um -um -em -um -u -em
    Ablative -a -o -o -e -e, -i -u -u -e
    Locative -ae -i -i -i, -e -i, -e -i ? ?
    Vocative -a -e -um -us -u -es
    Plural
    Case 1 f. 2 m. 2 n. 3 mf 3 n. 4 m. 4 n. 5 f.
    Nom/Voc -ae -i -a -es -a -us -ua -es
    Genitive -arum -orum -orum -um -um -uum -uum -erum
    Dat/Abl/Loc -is -is -is -ibus -ibus -ibus, -ubus -ibus -ebus
    Accusative -as -os -a -es -a -us -ua -es

From the above, looks like 3rd declension nominative plural is clitores. Vocative, too. "Hey, clitores!!!"

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Lamest. Poll. (Other-than-those-started-by-ESPN's-HR-dorks.) Ever. :D

Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, dools. After three years, you'd think you could let this go. It's like you've morphed into He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

;D

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Clitores is correct; I should've made that clearer. Stay on-topic and have a happy Illegitimis Non Carborundum Day. ;D

12. I voted for two syllables but my wife - a native drawling Southerner of all people - has proven to me it's only one.

1. The dictionary pronunciation - smahyl - doesn't have a sound break in between.

2. When I think of smile, I'm thinking of how I say it when I'm taking a picture: smy-ul. But in normal conversation most of us just say it in one syllable.

3. Look at similar words. Would you say while is two syllables? I wouldn't. Awhile? Sure. Wheel? No.

I hate to say I was wrong, but I was wrong. One syllable.

Draft saved Draft deleted