1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Put The X in the 2008 Running Baseball Thread (plus I makes it XI)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Young should be starting over Jeter.

And there's no way Ortiz should be the DH. He's barely played. Put Hamilton there and put Upton in the starting outfield.

You've got Youk as the starter and back up at first base.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Soria has been as automatic as it gets. One blown save. And of course, he has one of the great nicknames in baseball.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

On the NL, I don't think Soriano will be ready to play so Braun should be the other starting OF.

I agree on Martin over McCann.

Theriot is not an all-star. Lee probably is but I could see him getting bumped because Gonzalez is the most-deserving Padre.

What about Nate McLouth from Pittsburgh as one of the OF?

And no way should Wright make it over Aramis Ramirez. There's got to be another Met who could represent them.

Micah Owings should be the DH...

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Do you realize how absurd that logic sounds to everyone who isn't a Royals fan? Yet you smashed the nail on the head.

And regarding KC's All-Stars, there will only be two at the most. Soria, who's a lock, and Guillen, who's deserving of a reserve spot. He's got 61 RBIs now... one more and he ties last year's team leader, Emil Brown.

I wish I were making that shit up.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Does Mike Mussina start the All-Star game in Yankee Stadium, or is that silly?

Who else deserves to start for the AL? Diasuke Matrsusaka? Livan Hernandez? Ervin Santana? Vicente Padilla?

Am I forgetting anyone deserving? Andy Pettitte?

Help ...

6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Good catch. I corrected it. I meant to type Justin Morneau.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Armando Galarraga.

I think it's pretty obvious a Tiger should be the starter considering that's the best team in baseball.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Emil Brown ... gawd how I don't miss him.

Soria should be an absolute lock, and Goo-illen is fairly deserving with his RBI totals.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Pettitte and his ERA of just shy of 4 ... same for Mussina ...

Cliff Lee, CLE: 11-1, 2.34 ERA, 90 K, 16 BB, 1.042 WHIP

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Or Oakland's Justin Duchscherer -- 8-5, 1.91 ERA, 55 K, 19 BB, 0.92 WHIP

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Ortiz has already said he won't be playing in the All-Star Game, so that will open up a spot for somebody -- Unless they go right down the list in the voting. Of course second is Hideki Matsui, and he won't be available either.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

McLouth's overall numbers are still pretty good, but he has stopped hitting in June. He is decent player who had a big hot streak. He is still probably the most deserving Pirate, but that isn't saying much.

I don't think Wright would be an outlandish choice over Ramirez. Wright has more home runs and RBI. Ramirez has more runs scored and a higher batting average. It seems fairly close to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.