1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's punish women for excelling

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by abcdefg, Jul 11, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Let's clarify my position a little. I'm not threatened by a successful woman in the least ... I was the sole provider among my first wife and I while she went to college full time and the first job she got after graduation had mine beat in position and salary. And let me tell you, it wasn't at all threatening.

If there's any "threat" it's from a woman who could outdrive me or dunk on me. At the same time, if a woman is good with tools, I feel slightly threatened simply because I can't hammer a nail straight even if I'm using the Shrub's head.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Brava, Cadet. Bravissima.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Excellent point. This is still very much a problem (there are four levels of pay: men with families, women with families, single men, single women), but rarely addressed because 1) it's socially taboo to talk about money and 2) employers have so many loopholes to claim that jobs are not equal.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Like anything, change takes time.  When I was a girl there were few sports open to me.  I played softball for a number of years and while boys my age got full uniforms for baseball and played on the diamonds at grassy parks, we got plain sweatshirts (our teams didn't even have names, just colours) and played on gravel fields at elementary schools.

In all the years I played softball, my father came to one game and my mother never did.  They did go to a lot of my brothers' soccer games. Everything told me that sports for me was not as important as it was for the boys.

Women's sports have come a long ways but there is still a lot further to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted