1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Play Bowl Games at Home ... and give everyone the same milk and cookies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

From Brett McMurphy's CBSSports' blog, an anonymous AD wants minor bowl games to be played at one of the home team's stadiums... and he also wants everyone to get the same trophy:

Yes, we must treat everyone exactly the same. It's just not fair that he gets more loot that I do.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/34629421

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Where did it say anything about trophies? The bowl loot being talked about is the gifts each player receives. And it's not a horrible idea. Makes it so a bowl that is poorly run doesn't hand out something crappy and keeps the big-time one from handing out what amounts to extra benefits.

And the on-campus idea isn't bad either. Would heavily boost attendance and save a ton of money on bowl travel for both teams since the visiting team would only come for a couple of days instead of a week or longer. The bowls are a crappy tourist draw for a lot of cities at this point.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Better still, how 'bout we get rid of about 80 percent of the bowls and call it even?

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I thought part of the idea behind bowl games was to reward players for a good season?

"Awesome, we get to go to the Ramada Inn!!!"

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Or, and I'm just throwing this out there, we could get rid of all of them since it's a corrupt system and decide the national champion for football like other NCAA sports do, with a playoff.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The ideas behind bowl games is to make money for local businesses and get coaches a bonus check. Players left the equation a long time ago.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

New Mexico State knows nothing of this bowl season you speak of

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

True, although this tradition of players receiving bowl gifts is nothing new. And traveling to a home stadium kinda takes the fun out of traveling to an exotic place for both teams.

Dave Meggyesey told the story in his book, and in this story, about how Syracuse had to play in the Liberty Bowl (which was in Philly in the 1960s), and saw it as a punishment, not a reward, because they were going to have to practice for several more weeks, and not get anything for it. Meanwhile, the coaches got watches. So they went in and demanded watches for themselves or they'd boycott the game, and they got them.

http://www.thepostgame.com/node/4212

Take away a variety of gifts, and make a team play at home instead of an exotic location (I can see the UConn players cheered at another week in Storrs instead of someplace warm), and players are just going to see it as another week of games. And they ain't going to like it.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As I've opined before, it's funny that many bash the NCAA, colleges, etc., for how they "exploit" athletes, yet they want to reduce the number of bowl games, one thing the players do get actual benefits from, and something they seem to enjoy.

I covered teams that played in a BCS bowl, and in lesser bowls in places that were definitely not destination resorts. Players on all those teams sure seemed to be having fun, no matter their destination, and they sure appreciated the swag.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm guessing they weren't in Shreveport.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Turning the minor bowls into football's version of the NIT only would create more howling about inequity.

"Shreveport Swag" is an oxymoron.

Draft saved Draft deleted