1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's play a game: Build the staff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 30, 2012.

1. JohnSahly

JohnSahly New Member

Just curious, why hasn't investigative reporter appeared on any of these fantasy lists?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Great to have them; might be a luxury many think they can't afford given the parameters.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Fantasy sports editing! To make it more realistic, can you add furloughs and cut everyone's salaries like two months in?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Now, explain to your baseball writer why he needs to start traveling with the NFL team.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Speaking of fantasy, any list is a joke without a fantasy football writer. At least mid-level.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Someone can pick that up on the side. I'd consider "side" gigs as fantasy football, local golf, marathons/triathlons/local running, maybe fishing/outdoors depending on where you are. Might be others depending on your market

When I worked a big shop, a colleges writer picked up fantasy, a prep guy did all the local running stuff and we had stringers writing a weekly local golf roundup and a fishing report.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

There's definitely markets where having an FT outdoors reporter is pivotal. Other markets can live on submissions.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

What about the bowling coverage?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I forgot the parimutuels guy. We had a preps writer that covered the dog tracks. Wasn't a bad side gig either, he got on 1A a couple times when there were bad outbreaks of kennel cough and one memorable greyhound that was a local sensation for a while as he kept setting track records. Good dog.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was kidding. Fantasy columns are best left to designers who know more than is healthy about a given sport.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are a lot of papers where an outdoors writer is necessary. Most use freelancers though... About a decade ago most of the big papers had Olympic writers, now almost none of them do. A full-time golf writer is something that is rarely seen these days unless you're in Florida.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

On the list of most memorable co-workers, outdoors writers would be disproportianately represented.

Draft saved Draft deleted