1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Let's kill the baby."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Jun 29, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article4232386.ece

Ain't politics grand? And in case you're curious, Bobby Mugabe didn't even wait for the results from his "election" before inaugurating himself.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article4235839.ece

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

It's Zimbabwe. To say the country has seen better days is an understatement.. Hell, the life expectancy rate has declined by almost 50% in the last 20 years. The Mugabe administration has been terrible and the abuse is only escalating. Pretty much no freedom of speech or press, unless you want to get the shit beat out of you and/or arrested by the police force. Most notably, Edward Chikombo sent some footage of beatings to foreign media after the infamous 2007 Movement for Democratic Change Rally and was promptly abducted and killed. A handful of media outlets are banned from filming in the country, including BBC and CNN.

I'm not surprised by this tragic story at all.

3. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

They have nothing we want, and they can't hurt us. Fuck 'em. [/U.S. government]

Seriously, it pisses me off how often atrocities in Africa go unnoticed and unchecked. And this isn't a Bush bash. It's almost always been this country's policy to not give a fuck about Africa.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No. Not always. Our policies toward Africa changed drastically on October 3-4, 1993.

Now we don't give a fuck.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Sorry, but other than Apartheid, I can't remember the U.S. taking a stand on anything in Africa (World War II excepted, obviously). The U.S. did nothing to stop Idi Amin or Mobutu Sese Seko.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Okay, on October 4, 1993, our policies went from "we don't give a fuck" to "you can fall off the face of the fucking earth. We don't care."

That better?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So when will freedom be on the march to Zimbabwe?

I know, too easy.

In all seriousness, the last two times I can remember the U.S. as a nation paying attention to the problems in Africa are in 1993, as Three_Bags said, and in the mid-1980s, with the starving in Ethiopia. And we all know what resulted from the second subject. A certain song.

9. How does the mom hide and leave her kid for them to find?
    Bastards come into my house for ANY reason, they're going to have to kill me before they get to my kid.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And the rationale for entering countries to overthrow murderous oppressive dictators and install democracy is appropriate in Africa, but not appropriate in Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Syria?

11. If the administration is honest about the rationale for war, it's one thing. At least then we can debate the merits.
    What happened in Iraq is a completely different case.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Where did he suggest such a thing?

Draft saved Draft deleted