1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's hope this page didn't make it to print!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jan 2, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

But it sure made it to the Newseum's site.

[​IMG]

OK, I know it's dummy copy. But just on the off chance this hits the streets, wouldn't you want to spell the word "line" correctly? I realize they probably used "lyne" to get a descender, but why not use "head goes here" to accomplish that?

You can see a big version of this page here:
    http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/flash/fl_hr.asp?fpVname=OK_TW

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'll assume this was just a designer wanting to get his/her work of art online before the pointless drudgery of writing those boring headlines (no one reads those).

"Former OSU Cowboy killed" is clearly the work of an amateur. No need to say Cowboy. Player would be fine.

4. jcrutchmer

jcrutchmer Guest

It didn't make it to print, but it's the second time in a week that dummy copy has made it to the Newseum site from this paper. My guess is the paper's system automatically PDFs to Newseum at a certain time each night, and for this game, and the last time it happened (the night of Ford's death) that time probably came before the final deadline.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Big problem is the hed on the left:
    "Dawn of
    year sees
    first killing"

Never mind the bad split... but neither the dawn nor the year can SEE!

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This particular newspaper has a lot of problems with headlines and subheds -- especially subheds.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Never mind that a year can see anything.

8. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I love the Boise State-Okla subhead ...

"Two line newsy nutgraph
    to help the reader can go here
    please, thank you"

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Chick named Dawn from the lovely burg of year, founded by hoops mccann

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Actually a lot of papers misspell at least one word in the dummy heds. Shows up when you run spellcheck and if you haven't written a real hed you realize it when lyne or hedy or whatever gets caught by your spellcheck.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

IMO, there's (almost) no such thing as a bad split in a one-column headline.

Given the limitations, a headline that says what needs to be said is a success. If there are no bad splits, that's just a bonus.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

absolutely

And wouldn't all of us want our yet to be completed work critiqued by the world.

Holy cow, let's start of 2007 allowing some latitude when some is clearly deserved

Draft saved Draft deleted