1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's go to homecoming ... and then detention?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scouter, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Someone would get their ass kicked if they didn't give me my diploma cause my parents cheered. And I would not be the one kicking the ass.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

your ass is mine for the next month, buddy boy

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm still pretty sympathetic to the school on the diploma thing. If you don't set a strict rule, it gets out of hand quickly because it becomes a freakin' contest to see whose family can scream the loudest, and who wants to miss out hearing their kids' name because the kid before him got 15 seconds of screaming?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If it gets so out of hand that people are cheering for 15 seconds, then the principal, or whoever's reading off the names, needs to politely ask the people to calm down. And not read the name of the next kid until they do.

At my HS graduation, there was a kid in our class who had flunked a couple of times, and been in trouble with the law. But yet he managed to clean up his act and got his diploma. Our whole class gave him a standing O when he was up on stage.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hooray, now it's going to take three times as long.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No. You announce the kid. The family cheers. You let them cheer until after the kid gets the diploma, then walks off stage. If family is still cheering, say, "Please settle down."

Or if it gets too out of hand, do the Cosby Show solution of having everyone stand up, and sit down, and mail them their diplomas.

7. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Would that be Mama Broadus? :D

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Why, yes it would.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Horseshit. My niece got plenty of cheers at her graduation and so did the rest of the class of 130 graduates. The whole thing was over in 45 minutes.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It does.
    We don't want to damage the football field in June, so let's cram 500 kids into the gym. Only two family members can come because there's no room. And it's more than 100 degrees in there.
    Nice plan, Rock.

I was so stoned at graduation I fell asleep. Kid next to me had to nudge me when they called my name.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted