1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Go Mets: Ditch the Black

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 9, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Thanks for the Windy City sartorial history lesson, Buck. The navy road unis (both Cubs and Sox) actually looked pretty cool, although practicality is another matter. Interesting to see how those Sox unis have the same graphic scheme as the infamous "pajama" Sox unis of the 1970s...same colors and lettering, only difference is the caps and the cut of the clothes themselves.

2. I like the black unis.

Stop being so racist.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Presumably your irony font is on, murcielago. ???

4. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

The Wilpons don't really understand or appreciate the history of the Mets, which is surprising since Fred is a native NYer. The Mets are always looking to follow the latest trend, the exact opposite of the Yankees, who embrace their history.

The Mets should be wearing their '69 era uniforms, and should have some sense of tradition. It is something the fans are craving, yet the tone deaf Wilpon's just don't seem to get it.

When I was a kid Banner Day was a big event, now it's gone. Lindsay Nelson, Bob Murphy and Ralph Kiner were the voices of the franchise for 18 years, now they change announcers every year, and every channel. The list goes on.

I hope the new park will embrace the past, but given the Wilpon's track record I'm a little nervous. How about a ZERVAL sign out in right field?

5. tommyp

tommyp Member

And Schaefer beer sold by the vendors.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

That HOF exhibit didn't have the Sox jerseys with the shorts. That's worse.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Looks like a photo from a rec softball league. Yeesh.

That was my Dad's team when he was growing up. Mercifully, he wasn't growing up when they were that.

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Not to nitpick, but that's "the Wilpons' track record". Unless there is some new character owning the Mets who's calling himself The Wilpon.

Back on subject, I wouldn't have a huge problem with a black shadow on the letters and numbers of the uniforms, but the black hats and jerseys have to go. It's just not a good look.

And don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the NBA has a mandate frowning on teams wearing black uniforms (or maybe just black alternates) because of how many pro franchises started doing it. I mean, when the Utah Jazz is even getting in on it (late '90s black alternates), it's probably time to draw the line.

9. Or Rheingold.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Pirates used red in their uniforms from 1930 to the late 40s...

11. as a Sixers fan who grew up on those simple yet classic red, white and blue uniforms of the 1980s, I can say that this going black trend FUCKING SUCKS. It really serves no purpose other than the whole "black goes with everything" foolishness.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I don't know what's worse -- the fly collars or the shorts.

Draft saved Draft deleted