1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Go Mets: Ditch the Black

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 9, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm no Mets fan, but as one who pays attention to the aesthetics of sports uniforms and graphics, I find the campaign among Mets fans to ditch the fuggin-ugly black gear encouraging. Not exactly Darfur or Iraq as far as degree of social relevance, but what the hell.

http://www.ditchtheblack.com/

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not a Mets fan, either, but I would love to see them ditch the black. It's never quite looked right to me, even now. It's like when the Bucs tried to incorporate red and gray into the color scheme during the 1990s.

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I signed up... only because I was quite curious why the Mets started with all this black in the first place. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who thinks it's, ugly.

4. writing irish

It really looks like shit, and as the petition mentions, the blue/orange scheme isn't just Mets tradition (a couple of World Series wins among other things), it's a tribute to the NL traditions in NYC (Dodgers blue and Giants orange) and it's also the colors of the NYC flag, owing to the New Amsterdam era of NY history. (Remember those so-ugly-they're-cool orange/blue NY license plates?)

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Typical Mets...going with the black unis when black was in.

Even their "classic" logo is patently unoriginal. What kind of pathetic club borrows colors from its predecessors for its uniform? Do the Ravens have Colts blue and white in their logo?

Morons.

6. writing irish

[​IMG]

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm totally on board, Irish.

Won't make me hate the Mets any less, but at least they'll look much cooler as I'm hating them. :D

8. writing irish

Indeed. Let's not forget what a bunch of astounding assholes were on that 86 Series team. Gary Carter AND Keith Hernandez? Tools. I was in Boston for that Series and was surrounded by bandwagon Mets fans from NY/NJ/CT in my college dorm...(shudder).

But, there's no reason for New York's NL franchise to wear those hideous threads...not even the Mets deserve that. I remember reading in some discussion of human dignity, "Even the worst human being deserves the right to take a shit in privacy." This falls under that category, more or less.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Whoa. That's deep.

And you're wrong. they don't deserve to take shits in private.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This was a sad byproduct of everyone thinking black uniforms were cool. I can't agree more that it has to go.

I say the same thing about all black jerseys, see Colorado and others.

11. writing irish

Black wool in NY and navy wool in Chicago must have been really friggin uncomfortable around August or so.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, the Giants' all-black unis were introduced by the superstitious McGraw to be used during the 1905 World Series. They wore them once on the road in 1906, but then they weren't seen again until the 1911 Series, when McGraw brought them back because he thought it would give the 'Jints good luck. After they lost that Series to the A's, McGraw put them away and they were never worn again.

The Cubs, meanwhile, only used navy on the road, and it was only for three seasons (1911-13): <a href="http://baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=NL&city=Chicago&lowYear=1906&highYear=1936&sort=year&increment=15&=Display+uniforms">see unis here</a>

The White Sox also only used navy on the road (1901-16, 1926, 1930-31): <a href="http://baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=Chicago&lowYear=1901&highYear=1971&sort=year&increment=18&=Display+uniforms">see those here</a>

Draft saved Draft deleted