1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Go Bowling------2019-20 Bowl Game Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 9, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its funny how UCLA's home games are a complete snoozefest, a nonentity both locally and nationally. When you see a crowd shot, it looks like there's been an announced anthrax threat.

Put a full house and national audience in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day, and it becomes the most iconic sports venue in America.

MileHigh, Batman and ChrisLong like this.
  2. poindexter

Jesus, guys, the halftime is damn near a half hour.

NFL halftimes are 12 minutes.

Start there.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  3. poindexter

There was an awful, awful offensive pass interference call in the Rose Bowl against Wisconsin on a key play very late. The receiver in question wasn't even being thrown to.
    Bad call, everyone move on.

But no, the asshat ESPN ref analyst has to come in and insist it was the right call. Jesus christ, who feels the public needs to have the refs defended even when they are clearly wrong?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the TV ref didn't understand who the play was called on. Seemed like he thought it was called on the receiver. Not the outside guy interfering with the DB who was trying to get to the guy who caught the ball. They don't make that call in the SEC, which allows a lot more from DBs than other conferences do. Didn't seem much different than when they call offensive PI on a pick play.

5. poindexter

Why in the fuck is there a TV ref on TV who doesn't understand what 100% of the viewing public understands?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Refs stick together. TV rightsholders have a vested interest in making fans think refs are excellent, so this slanted viewpoint is aired.

Neutral Corner and heyabbott like this.
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I to would support dumping the marching bands but I think but institutional pressures at most universities would prevent it.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Plus Fox has Blandino and Peralta on college games

9. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

If Oregon had beaten Auburn by a few points instead of losing by a few, edged out Oklahoma for the fourth playoff spot as a result, and been wiped out by LSU in the playoff semifinal, would its fans feel better or worse about the season? To me, "We were close to making the playoff, and we beat a good team in the Rose Bowl" is a better year than, "We made the playoff and got destroyed, making people think we probably didn't belong." I suppose it may matter whether or not you've made the playoff in the last year or two; Oklahoma fans might see it differently than other teams' fans.

10. DanOregon

Clemson-OSU drew 20m viewers on Sat. LSU-OK 16m. Good numbers.

It's weird - I don't know if Pac-12 schools use the Rose Bowl much in recruiting. It might be the best asset the conference has when recruiting kids - particularly from outside the conference footprint. I think a lot of Pac12 fans take the bowl for granted - or don't respect it that much since now it is usually seen as secondary to a playoff berth

11. poindexter

It doesn't seem to be working for UCLA

12. DanOregon

I saw Cal in the Rose Bowl - big difference between that and seeing Cal in the Rose Bowl Game. I've mentioned earlier that it really is at another level from the other bowl games. Maybe it isn't to recruits today who have always lived in a world with 30 plus bowl games.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted