1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's go bowling!---2014-2015 NCAA FB Bowl Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 8, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What do the players and coaches think?

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Saturday nights traditionally suck for TV ratings. I'm guessing that's a big factor.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They also want the championship game on a Monday every year, so I guess if they backed up the semifinals to Jan. 2, that's two fewer days for teams to prepare.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Definitely would've made his guitar-screeching national anthem more in line with how they do it at sporting events.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

ESPN ranked the bowls 1-40 Schlabach: Ranking the bowl games from best to worst

I think Deadspin should fun-up some of the bowl names:

BattleFrog Fiesta Bowl
    Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl
    Tax Slayer Bowl
    Marmot Boca Raton Bowl
    Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl
    Motel 6 Cactus Bowl ("We'll leave the scoreboard lights on")
    R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl
    Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl
    Camping World Independence Bowl
    Popeyes Bahamas Bowl

The Bluebonnet Bowl and Peach Bowl and Cherry Bowl weep.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, then I think it's more a problem of "that's not the way it used to be." Which is fine, but not necessarily an end-all answer. The climate has changed. Maybe a bowl trip doesn't have to indicate you're in the 3 percent.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

ESPN wanted the playoff games on 1-2-16. The bowls shot it down. (And half of all problems in college football can be traced back to the Rose Bowl believing it's shit doesn't stink.)

CFP officials won't budge on semis, title dates

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Gee disagrees with this fact.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Pissing off ESPN and setting up a conflict with the NFL are not exactly moves in college football's best financial interests. While it would be pleasant to see a three-sided war between these entities resulting in all three losing, that's not a likely outcome.
    PS: Jack, it wasn't a fact I disagreed with, it's a fact I didn't know.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Goddamit, do I hate the phrase "New tradition." An oxymoron that's just accepted.

And the Rose Bowl can go fist itself. It's not 1966 anymore.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The bowls may be overplaying their hand here. It's not like there couldn't be a playoff without them.
    I'm only citing myself as an example, but I have plans for New Year's Eve. They basically mean I'll see the first 20 minutes of the first game and nearly none of the last except if I can bribe the bartender to put the game on the TV even if the band objects. I am disappointed to miss what should be two good games. It also means I'll be a lot less invested in the final.
    I wonder what the ratings would be for a head-to-head contest between the college football final and an NFL wild card game. It'd be interesting, but since it would be real bad news for the loser, I doubt it'll ever come to pass.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't care how many bowl games there are because you'd have to pay me to sit down and watch any part of 95 percent of them. But I fall into the camp where a bowl game is supposed to be a reward for a good season. There are no good teams that go 6-6, only mediocre ones. When I become sports czar of the world, this mandate will carry over to all professional sports; no playoffs if you're at .500 or below in the regular season.

Draft saved Draft deleted