1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's do a media survey/poll

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, May 4, 2011.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

If you don't mind, could you expand on the Koufax point. I'm curious.

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Best: Tug McGraw. Funny, funny man. RIP, Tugger.
    Worst: Dr. J. Musta been pissed he was stuck in Pissant, USA that day, but lordhavemercy him were a dick.
    Coolest: Gonna sound strange, but ... Orenthal James Simpson. Came across as an even keeled dude. Granted, it was 1991.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Also bear in mind that this was the Ditka from '97 to '99, when he was stealin' money from the Saints. During his Bears time, and the interim before his New Orleans arrival, he could be accommodating, kinda funny (in a bare knuckles Aliquippa way), and pretty candid at times.

And I'll always give him, and Buddy Ryan, credit for leading that amazing '85-'86 Bears commando squad, and all the stories they left in their wake.

The late, great Jim Finks for putting the team together.

4. Jesus_Muscatel

"So, Tug, do you prefer grass or Astroturf?"

"Dunno. I never smoked no Astroturf."

Epic.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Jim Finks knew his stuff.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Don't mind at all:
    Sandy Koufax is a sweet, gentle man. I'm not old enough to remember him on the mound and the fierce competitor he was for the Dodgers.
    But, for a few decades, he was a recluse (or extremely private). The Dodgers, and especially Peter O'Malley, always wanted to celebrate Koufax. But, Koufax thought the Dodgers undervalued him when he was a player and held a grudge. So, wasn't till after the O'Malleys sold the Dodgers did Koufax start showing up to Spring Training in Vero and an occasional appearance in Los Angeles.
    That work?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jim Finks was a sportswriter's dream in these parts back in the day.

Good thing, too, on account of Jim Mora ...

There was little doubt, really, as to who the real leader was then.

And he never started a press conference with "WE SUCKED. OFFENSE. DEFENSE. KICKING GAME ... IT WAS A HORSE ..."

You know the rest.

Sam will vouch for me.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In a heartbeat. Though, funny enough, that Mora rant occurred in Charlotte after the Panthers - complete with some of Finks' and Mora's former players - ran over the Saints.

EDIT: YouTube to the rescue ... piecing together highlights with the rant. Also, kinda interesting who had the fourth-down stand to lock up the game for the home team:

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Didn't the Browns win a playoff game that season?

11. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Rex Ryan anyone?

12. mrbio

mrbio Member

Most colorful characters: Clyde Frazier, Rodman, Djokovic and his on court imitations. Usain Bolt at Beijing. Yannick Noah did the moonwalk during a Davis Cup match vs. Australia.

Most electrifying moment: 39 yr old Jimmy Connors amazing run at 1990 or 1989 US Open. Mike Tyson getting KOed in Tokyo by Buster Douglas. 1980 Lake Placid.

Draft saved Draft deleted