1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's discuss: Jury chosen for Bonds' trial today.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 21, 2011.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Even good writers need editors. Nah, screw that. BLOGS!

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't imagine Greg Anderson has received a penny from Bonds. Novitsky and his pals are all over Anderson, and if even a stick of gum has already been traded, there is a good chance they'd know about it. And if they did, they'd use it.

My better guess -- and these are the theories i have read -- is that one of two things is happening. 1) Anderson has been promised he will be taken care of if he goes omerta. Everyone points out the risk there, though, is that cheap-ass Barry Bonds will stiff him when all is said and done. But what that neglects is that Anderson has leverage on Bonds, and if that happens, he can threaten to come forward with the truth. Not that he still might not. A book deal has to be on his mind as a possibility. 2) Anderson gets portrayed as a childhood friend, and now best buddy of Bonds, but I have read things suggesting that it is as much fanboy stuff as friend stuff. If that is true, it could be a weird psychological thing, in which Anderson who is desperate to be best buddies with his idol is going through this to cement the friendship.

But who knows. Regardless, I genuinely admire the guy. He has a principle. And even if that principle is just to get paid off, he is sticking by that principle and putting up with more grief than 99 percent of people would take without caving in on his principles. And I always admire people who are willing to suffer rather than not be true to their principles. It takes a kind of character. The mob guys in the 60s who would laugh at a couple of months in jail as the tradeoff for keeping quiet were kind of cool, in their own way. But it's why the government added on those obstruction of justice charges to make the potential penalty more severe, and they WILL bring those charges against Anderson when this is done. And then he could be facing serious jail time. It will be interesting to see if he sticks to his guns in the face of that. I can't say either way. He has been so dutiful and faced it all without any emotion.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can you make an obstruction of justice case just because someone stonewalled the prosecution? I mean, it seems that there's a logical fallacy there: You didn't tell us something, so we don't officially know it, but you're going to pay because you're preventing us from officially knowing it. (Not that the law doesn't have its measure of logical fallacies.) I don't know that there has been any official and provable allegation that Anderson either lied, misled prosecutors or hid/destroyed evidence.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I recall in "Game of Shadows" that the most Bonds ever paid Anderson was about $40,000 in a year. Wow, that must be a great friendship for Anderson to spend that much time in prison for the guy.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) They have evidence that Anderson was in on it. Evidence they will introduce at this trial. So they will argue that they do know the truth and he refused to testify. No illogical fallacy if their evidence is what they say it is. They have tape of Anderson admitting it to Steve Hoskins (also a childhood Bonds Friend) who was Bonds' business manager -- according to them -- although I have read the tape is grainy. And they have BALCO records that implicate Anderson. And they have eye witness testimony, in which Hoskins will testify that he was the one who paid Anderson for the drugs. They certainly have grounds to bring obstruction charges. It's almost a certainty that they will, since they are so knee deep in this, and they are going full speed ahead regardless of any arguments against doing it.
    2) From what I have read in relation to the Bonds case, those obstruction of justice charges in cases like these, really became more prevalent in the mafia prosecutions in the 50s and 60s. They would have evidence that someone had info, but because of Omerta (and guys prided themselves in not being rats), guys were willing to go to jail rather than testify. They would laugh at a sentence of a few months. So the government came back with obstruction charges which carry greater penalties to discourage not testifying.

6. LongTimeListener

If they are taking something that was initially used to root out mass murderers and applying it to people who aided in the quest to hit more home runs, that's pretty much a textbook case of bad-faith prosecuting. They might as well indict Anderson for a RICO violation too. Maybe even mail fraud a la "The Firm."

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

His comparison of how frequently players hit 45 home runs in different eras is pretty effective. And he even forgot at least one player in the latest era (Richie Sexson, who did it twice).

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good story from Juliet Macur on same in the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/sports/baseball/23anderson.html

Little said the refusal of a witness to testify — either to a grand jury or at a trial — was common in organized-crime cases in the 1960s, when potential witnesses did not testify to stymie the prosecution. Those potential witnesses considered it “sort of a joke” that they could elude testifying by simply spending some time in jail or prison and not face any other charges. It was considered commonplace and a badge of honor to be jailed because of their silence, he said.

“It became part of the culture, that omertà,
    ” Little said. “But then the government decided to use wiretaps, so that phenomena came to an end. Now, you really don’t see it very often.”

9. LongTimeListener

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/03/24/MN161IISLD.DTL&tsp=1

Bonds' former friend -- wow, there have to be a million people who fit that description -- had a horrible day in court on cross-examination, according to the Chron's Lance Williams. Couldn't tell where or when anything happened and couldn't even identify his own voice on the recording that is the supposed smoking gun against Greg Anderson. If this is what the feds have, the feds don't have shit.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I guess we're all discussed out on Barry Bonds; couldn't find a thread on his trial except this one. Interesting ...

Anyway, pulled this gem from the AP story about the trial this morning:

Talk about your nut graph.

11. LongTimeListener

Orchidometer. That's what I have learned from this trial. Orchidometer.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Bonds should walk. I don't think the prosecution has proven anything. I'd sure like to know how much taxpayer money was spent on this case that could have been put to better use elsewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted