1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's discuss: Jury chosen for Bonds' trial today.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 21, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just so I'm "clear" - pun intended, the perjury charge is based on Bonds saying he never knowingly took roids, right? So the prosecution has to prove that he knew?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You've got it, Dan.

They have to prove Bonds took steroids. And then prove he knowingly lied about it. It's central to all the counts. They don't prove he took steroids to the satisfaction of a jury, and he walks.

They claim Greg Anderson injected him. But Anderson refuses to testify and went to jail rather than speak. So they will need to do it without him. They will put on eye witnesses, including Kathy Hoskins (his former assistant) and Kimberly Bell (former GF), who who will say they saw Anderson inject Bonds. But the meat of their case was a positive test and handwritten notes and calendars documenting his use that they got from raiding BALCO. And the judge said that evidence is inadmissible.

I believe they get to put up evidence from the MLB test (before penalties) in 2003 that shows Bonds used the BALCO steroids (before MLB knew about them and tested for them) and Clomid, a female fertility drug used to try to mask use (after they were retested for the BALCO drugs). And they have a bad audio quality tape of Anderson incriminating Bonds. And the juicy part will be when they put other athletes, including Jason Giambi, on the stand who will say that Anderson provided them with steroids also.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ragu, you're obviously up on this -- so you tell me, what is the takeaway here? Hoping Barry Bonds has to serve less jail time than Greg Anderson, Victor Conte and everyone else involved has already served? It really doesn't seem worthy of an eight-year investigation.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really have a hard time believing a person who ends up seated on that jury won't think that this is a stupid case and acquit just for that reason.

I understand the millions that have been spent on the case, I also think that was money well spent since it apparently has helped clean up sports more than any public service campaign could do. But I do wonder why Bonds is on trial and Palmeiro isn't, why no one has been hauled in front of a judge for the Wall Street meltdown...
    Do I think Bonds did lie? Yeah - I also think it will make no difference either way if he is convicted or not.

5. Street to educated dictionary, ya dig?

"Hey, man. What do you have against me?"

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It went off the tracks a while ago, but it accomplished its purpose -- Bonds is out millions in lost income and legal fees.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ain't no thing. You're a favorite sock puppet. I'd have a Olde English with you and Raisin Ham anytime

8. Raisin Ham

Raisin Ham Member

Would That Be A 40-Ouncer, Dooley?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

at what cost though? Is this what you want your federal government spending their time and money on?

10. Trial aside, isn't it nice to see Barry looking so trim and healthy? If I didn't know better, I'd say his head even looks smaller.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I was the prosecution, I would dig out a game-worn hat from his final season.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

IF THE HAT DON'T FIT, YOU CAN'T ACQUIT!"

Draft saved Draft deleted