1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Let's all screw the 1 percent"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Dec 26, 2014.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Where I work, the higher up the chain you go, the more hours people put in. No OT.

The entry-level ones, who are eligible for OT, run out the door at 5.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are eligible for OT and put in for it without it being approved, you can get fired.

Same thing if you work OT and DON 'T put in for the hours (especially if you complain or brag about doing it).

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They're being pretty smart.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I worked on two daily sports staffs, and in each instance only the SE had a title. But that's neither here nor there.

The post to which I was responding used the phrase "make them work for free." Sorry, that's just silly. There's no way I can take my magic title wand and arbitrarily cut my labor costs. This is true whether there's a law in place or not.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You can arbitrarily cut you labor costs by forbidding overtime, unless approved and don't bother asking because it won't be. Or by making hourly employees salaried by waving a wand that gives them a title.

Of course you can't cut your labor costs to zero, that would be impossible, but you can make your labor costs fixed and in doing so reduce your overall personnel expense.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I assume you're going with the "anyone can walk away" reasoning. While that's true, where is that person going to go? This is addressed in the OP link by quoting Adam Smith, who faces the reality that the company has too much power in that situation. And it certainly appears that most industries have found and are exploiting this re-classification route.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The monopsony argument is pretty tired in this context. Making that case requires a ton of conditions -- barriers to entry chief among them -- that just aren't present to any great degree.

I imagine that many firms do classify employees to get around overtime requirements, but I doubt very seriously there's any bargain gained with respect to wage costs. If there are any economies, they're in monitoring/compliance costs.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Doc,

One reason this is an issue is places routinely do this to get around paying the OT requirement.

If it's a manager or CEO working 50/60 hours for six or seven figures, fine.

Problem is, restaurants (and others) will "promote" people to manager or assistant manager, require them to work or be on call 7 days a week and pay the minimum 26K or whatever that exempts them from OT.

That's horseshit. Should make at least $50-60K to be exempt.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I was a youngish university employee with two positions that demanded almost full attention. One of the positions was as a one-man SID department, in the days before the internet. Lots of hand-calculating of stats, which sucked balls for football. Also had to attend and do stats, etc., for all athletic events including most on the road. Add in media guide production and the general chores that fell to an SID, I would come in at 6 am most days and stay til 8-10 pm.

This would last for 4-5 weeks at the beginning of each school year. Often wonder why I said yes to that job!

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

At around $50 an hour for OT, I'm not so sure.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Wage theft is a huge problem right now in this country and it's hurting all of us (because we end up subsidizing) but especially folks on the low end of the economic spectrum.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm not understanding what you mean by this. Are you saying that they would get the $50/hour in OT if they stay, but they're choosing not to and leaving at 5 and that it's their choice to stay or go?

I was thinking that they leave at 5 because they wouldn't be allowed to work OT, and that they weren't staying becaus they wouldn't get paid for the extra time.

Draft saved Draft deleted