1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's all laugh at Write-Brained

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, May 31, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

*Sigh*

Never mind.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

(I'm just giving you shit)

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hey, it was hard work coming up with something that was immoral and fattening. That's 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back. :( :-\

4. imjustagirl

I was thinking more like licking chocolate syrup off the chest of one's ex in a closed park at night.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's immoral? If so, the terrorists truly have won.

6. imjustagirl

Well, depending on certain things.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Write-Brained ... did you get this on film? I mean, you did get the squirrel in the trap on film, why not the rat dropping cookies?! :0)

I think it's a great little story. Something you'll definitely share with your kid for forever and ever.

I don't have any bad cooking stories from my childhood, but I will never eat another cinnamon roll for as long as I live. My dad made those Pillsbury cinnamon rolls 3 times a week (no lie) for almost 4 years -- I loved them then -- but now, I can't walk past a Cinnabon store without gagging.

8. I left them on the stove for my wife to see them, but then I hurriedly bundled them up and threw them in the trash before she could get a photo.

My daughter's reaction still cracks me up. She of course doesn't know anything about baking cookies, but rather than be associated with such an epic, shameful failure, she told my wife that she tried to tell me I was doing it wrong.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

To quote the adoption ad, "You don't have to be a perfect parent. Just just have to be there."

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

wow. i understand the background, but i couldn't walk past an airport "cinnabon" -- in my walking through airport days -- without buying one. smells tooooooo yummy to pass up. i've got the gut to prove it, too. :p :p :p :p

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My mom is a pretty good cook and a darn good baker. She doesn't do it often anymore -- or much when I was growing up, actually -- but when she did cook, we rarely had complaints. However, during Christmas, she turns it up a bit.

I forget what she was making for the family, but I didn't want it. I wasn't real hungry, but she wouldn't quit until she could make something for me. So I just said, "Mom, just make me something simple, then. ... How about a Hot Pocket. Two minutes in the microwave." She agreed.

I went to the dining room to talk with my brother-in-law, and I saw her unwrap the breakfast pocket and put it on a sheet tray. "Mom, two minutes in the microwave. That's it. Two minutes in the microwave." "OK," she said. And I went back to my conversation.

Twenty minutes later, I'd forgotten about my meal. She comes out of the kitchen with food for everyone, including my Hot Pocket, charred on the inside and nearly impenetrable. I looked at my brother-in-law, and he busted up in laughter. I sawed through the concrete pastry, and not once did I think I'd be able to eat this thing.

She came back out and sat down and asked, "So, did I do it right?" My entire family, who had watched me struggle with this 2-by-6-inch brick for the last five minutes, was in stitches. "No, mom," I said. "How long did you cook this?" Twenty minutes in the over," she said. "That's what you told me, right?"

Every Christmas, my brother-in-law asks me if I want a Hot Pocket for breakfast: "Twenty minutes in the oven, right?"

12. Please excuse my self-indulgence, but the kid and I finally tried to make cookies from scratch again tonight for the first time since I started this thread months ago.

Aside from the egg yolk that landed on my leather shoe (I'm still not sure how the kid pulled that off since I was standing behind her) and the first batch of cookies that went into the oven sans brown sugar - the cookies turned out OK.

Some were oddly shaped, but at least they were edible this time.

Draft saved Draft deleted