1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's all laugh at Write-Brained

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, May 31, 2008.

1. My kid and I were hanging out together at home today after spending the morning out in the sun, so I got the crazy idea of baking cookies from scratch. My kid has been raised on the pre-packaged cookies and I thought it would be fun for the two of us to bake together.

I haven't baked in a while, but I always had a knack for it in high school, baking cakes and pies.

Boy, did I fuck the cookies up. The batter was so soupy that when I put it in the oven, the "dough" spread out on the cookie sheet and was boiling within minutes. It was awful. I put in another cup of flour, but all it is is some damn sugary soup.

The kid was not very impressed.

I'm still trying to deduce what I did wrong. We didn't have a 1/4 cup so I had to guess on the measurements a bit. I think I put in too much butter. We didn't have sticks of butter, so I basically put in two cups of that margarine that comes in the gray tubs. I'm sure someone here can tell me why that didn't work.

My wife was rolling on the floor at work when I told her. The kid - my pride and joy, the apple of my eye - looks at me and tells me, "I told you, you put in too much butter."

Thanks, kid. Glad you have my back.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Margarine and butter are not the same thing. I think I remember my mom saying you can't cook with the tub margarine stuff.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Can't laugh at all, cause you were doing the good dad thing and hanging out with your kid, and that's awesome.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

ditto.

you just got yourself a lifetime funny story to tell on yourself forever about you and your kid -- boy or girl, by the way? nothing ever wrong or embarrassing about that.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

That's a great story :D

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Before I laugh at you, my friend, you must answer me one question: Were you wearing an apron?

Your little girl sounds like a blast. My niece would do the same thing: "No, you're doing it all wrong. Watch me. ..."

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Can't laugh because I've been there.
    Except for me it was bananas in rice crispy treats.
    But I feel for ya WB.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

Now every time you or the kid bites into a bad cookie for the rest of your lives, you'll both think about that Saturday afternoon together back in '08. And that's great.

Just like every time I find a biscuit of questionable origin on my plate, I think back to the time 20 years ago my Mom realized she was out of flour halfway through cooking a fried chicken dinner. The story gets told and retold every time my mom and my brothers and me have dinner together, which regrettably isn't more than once or twice a year these days ... but I still cherish the memories.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't laugh. I once used olive oil in brownies.

My dads STILL remind me about that even though it happened 17 years ago.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

W-b, is it all right if I laugh with you rather than at you?

Because you made time for your kid, even if it didn't work out. A very cool thing you have done.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree.

Somehow, I don't think the taste of the cookies or the fact they didn't turn out right was the most important part of your tale.

I'm sure she'll laugh about that years from now but look on the incident with warm memories. Because you and she spent time together.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yes, the story will live longer than the cookies ever would have.

And yeah, the tub margarine was your problem. That shit's not good for much of anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted