1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Let's All Hate Toronto"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jul 15, 2007.

?

Do you hate Toronto?

1. Toronto sucks!

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Toronto is a world-class city!

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I am unfamiliar with hatred that other Canadians have for Toronto: http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20070715/ca_pr_on_en/film_hate_toronto_2;_ylt=AlM3W0xrVSqD3iv1OpGBb7IE1vAI

"When I first found out that Canadians hate Toronto in many cases - I know this is going to be hard for you to believe - I cried.

"I'm an incredibly macho guy. You wouldn't think that I ever cry and I think I hardly ever had. Except for when my dog died."

The tongue-firmly-in-cheek film recounts all the reasons why people think Toronto the Good is bad - no soul, uptight, not taking the rest of the country seriously. Getting the army to clear its snow.

But in his 15-city Toronto Appreciation Day tour that makes up the framework of the film, Spence carries the message that Hogtown is a place with people, not some two-dimensional bank that runs Canada.
    "Well before that there were well-documented frustration issues with Toronto," said Nerenberg, somewhat astonished that his is the first film on the subject.

"I think the larger issue is, is Canada overdominated by one city."
    "French, English, we can all hate Toronto," Nerenberg said brightly. "What we discovered is that you could go to the most remote Inuit village in the Far North of Canada and you will find people who hate Toronto.

"You can go as far west as you want to go, you'll find Toronto haters. You can go as far east. Rich, poor, short, tall, with mustaches, without mustaches, it doesn't seem to matter. All these people can be unified by hating Toronto."

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This was a big hit at the Hot Docs film festival.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, all the local politicos were touting Toronto as a "world class city". Embarrassingly provincial.

Any city that claims to be "world class" is just showing how podunk it is.

Thank heaven's we're over that.

That said, Toronto is one of the most cosmoplitan and multi-cultural cities in North America.

Oh, and memo to the rest of Canada: we're not called the Centre of the Universe for nothing.

If it wasn't for us, you'd still be living in sod huts and driving on corduroy roads. :)

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

4. Flash

Flash Guest

On behalf of the Easterners I grew up with and the Westerners I live with now, you suck. :D

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Two of the worst Toronto-hating groups: Maritimers on welfare and Alberta cowboys. :)

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Isn't Quebec hated by the rest of Canada because of the occasional secession talk?

7. Flash

Flash Guest

There is one evil worse than Toronto. But only slightly.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

All talk and no action.

How do you say "boy who cried wolf" in French?

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Google the band Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie and check out The Toronto Song. A truer anthem I have never heard.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

I heard Philadelphia likes Toronto.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

F all the Toronto haters!
    Canada rocks! :D

12. IU90

IU90 Member

Chuck, you're aware that the Toronto haters are all Canadian, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted