1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let the Santana Sweepstakes begin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 26, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Last I remember reading, the Twins were insisting Reyes be included in a deal with the Mets.

That still the case?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mets ain't going to trade Reyes.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Let the Yankees have Santana, and I hope the Twins will pillage them for everything they have in their farm system. New York still needs to get a bullpen. Joba can't pitch 162 games.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Yankees real question is can Joba the starter pitch past the 6th inning?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And that's their prerogative. I do think, though, that a lot of folks on here think the Twins are a lot more desperate to deal him than they are.

Hunter's deal is off the books. Pohlad has deep pockets. They can afford to look at the best offers right now. Then, they might take one, they might deal him at the deadline, or they might sign him.

Some folks apparently think the Twins are not financially capable of signing him. That is not the case.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Meh. That Oliver Perez is just a worthless throw-in! :)

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Can't sign and trade in MLB, Zeke.
    If they sign him to an extension (he's under contract for 2008 at about $13 mill) they can't trade him this year, I think.

Plus, he's got a no-trade clause that he'll waive this year but might not if he signs long term and wants to stay in Minny.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Forgot about that. But, yeah, you're right.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think Pohlad is emotionally capable of parting with the kind of money it will take to sign him.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That is entirely possible.

But maybe his kid is.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There is no fucking way that happens. They're not going to part with any part of the left side.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I don't see the Red Sox wanting to part with Ellsbury or Bucholz, and I don't think they would unless they were really that desperate to keep him away from the Yankees.

They might however offer Lester in a deal with Crisp and maybe someone like Craig Hansen and/or Justin Masterson.

Draft saved Draft deleted