1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let the Santana Sweepstakes begin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Agreed. But there is no way the Yankees are giving up two MLB position players and Hughes/Chamberlain.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Agreed. But there is no way the Yankees are giving up two MLB position players and Hughes/Chamberlain.[/quote]Johan's the best pitcher in the game. The Yanks are really going to have to think long and hard how much they want him and what they can afford to give up for him.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Johan's the best pitcher in the game. The Yanks are really going to have to think long and hard how much they want him and what they can afford to give up for him.
    [/quote]

He is the best pitcher in the game, you are right, but giving up two MLB hitters and two solid pitching prospects is a little much and I hope they don't do it.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

But here comes the other thing: What if it's do that or let Boston have him?

I can't imagine either the Red Sox or the Yankees want to see him go to the other. And that's where the bidding really starts. How much is Santana worth times two -- his worth to you plus his worth taken away from your rival.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree Zeke, but at some point the cost becomes too high. I do wonder if the Yankees or Red Sox are both just trying to jack the price up for the other team.

Where do the Angels and Mets rank in all of this? Seems to me the Mets would be a bit desperate to get someone like Santana and might give up an awful lot to do it.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, that's all part of the game, and what makes things interesting.

Unless, of course, they instituted a salary cap. ;)

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I doubt the Angels will be in on this one. They need offense more than pitching and they still seem to reluctant to deal their prospects.

The Mets should be in it, but who is the centerpiece propsect/young player they can offer?

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Lastings Milledge? :)

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez, plus Humber or Pelfrey or Ollie Perez (or 2 of the 3?).

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mets do need some positive press following the September collapse and an early off-season of standing pat. It's just a matter of what they're willing to give up. Milledge or Gomez? Or both? Pelfrey or Humber? Or both? Or some package of the foursome?

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Pelfrey, Perez, Milledge and cash considerations?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

They will want Gomez or Martinez, not Milledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted